Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time speeds out of order.

pdevine
Dabbler

Peak time speeds out of order.

Hiya,
Have been putting up with this quietly for quite a while now, but its really starting to get on my nerves.
When it comes to around 7pm, my download speed drops from anywhere in the region of 400-700kbs to 30-80kbs. Now, I fully understand that I 'may be subject to speed drops during peak times, as its only fair', or words to that effect, but this is taking the biscuit. I'm paying for broadband, and quelle surprise, I use it most during the same times as everyone else. Other providers manage to share the load around without forcing such marked speed drops on their customers.
I really don't know what I'm hoping for here, but if this keeps up I'll be offski at the end of my contract. Fair enough, the service is cheap - but what's the point in saving a few quid if it's reducing my speed by more than 100% at the times I'm most likely to be using it?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, and I apologise for the ranty nature of the post, but it's really beginning to grate.
BTW - I know my computers & take good care of my own, so I know its nothing to do with that - plus there's the fact it almost always pings back up to what it should be around midnight.  Angry
13 REPLIES 13
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Peak time speeds out of order.

are those speeds from a speed test or from a download site
what does this say about the state of your exchange http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: pdevine
if this keeps up I'll be offski at the end of my contract.
Your not In contract, Unless you took a router and agreed to stay for 12 month, But you can still leave anytime you wish, Just means you have to pay for the router etc.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
pdevine
Dabbler

Exchange is fine Jim.
These speeds are almost every night from 6pm-midnight. No other constant in the pattern.
Steve - I don't want to be liable for the router costs due to leaving, when I'd be leaving for a reason like poor service.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

are they from speed tests or download sites and, if so, which ones
pdevine
Dabbler

Strangely enough, the speed tests are showing I have a speed of around 4mb (Speedtest.net & broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk - bt.speedtester won't run.)
It doesn't matter whether the download is coming from, be it a hosting site or youtube, or wherever - the speeds are constantly at 30-80 kbs, even now when 2 independent checks are saying 3MB+.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Sounds like a profile problem.
Which product are you on
pdevine
Dabbler

Sounds promising! I'm on Extra Jim.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Best thing is to wait until the staff are around on Monday as they should be able to assist.
I think it is a bit too difficult for the normal ticket route.
One thing to clarify - are the speeds 30 - 80 kb/s or 30-80 kB/s
pdevine
Dabbler

Cheers - Will do. Its kB/s, btw.
pdevine
Dabbler

And bang on cue - 600 KB/s!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It seems to me that the speeds you experience tie in with the product specification.
Expected speeds guide link
Comparison tool link
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Don't forget that the expected speeds are given in bits per second (Kbps), speed tests give the speeds in bits per second but that most software downloaders give the speed in bytes per second (KBps). So if the table says 512Kb you should expect to see your download software reporting 64KBps.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi pdevine,
The VP at your exchange is currently amber, so this may be the cause of your issue[quote= Exchange checker]BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.
At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected
At this point I would certainly raise a speed fault at http://faults.plus.net
Jojo Smiley