Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time slowdowns - Jaggies

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Peak time slowdowns - Jaggies

As the ping/latency thread in the Announce Forum is closed, I have been advised to raise my own thread on here...
Connected to exchange NSIMD (21CN). Exchange shows "20CN VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green." Surely some mistake???
During the day I get around 13-14Mb downstream, and in the high 0.80 - low 0.90 upstream, as illustrated by this test from a few minutes ago.

I am back on night shift, so won't be able to run any speed tests in the evenings until the middle of next week, but here are a couple taken at peak time on Tuesday 26/3/13.

Gateway hopping doesn't help. All the above tests were taken on the same connection, so same IP address and obviously same Gateway - currently on ptw-ag02. This is located in Telehouse West.
All the download speeds above were tested with ethernet connection to my HomeHub 3 and no other devices connected at the time, and nothing else using the connection on this PC. It's a fairly good spec machine running a fairly recent install of Windows 8.
As the slowdowns are only in the evening, and there appears to be no 21CN data for my exchange, I suspect that I may be on a "Hot VP". Would it be possible for a rep to request this info from BTW for me?
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Peak time slowdowns - Jaggies

Hi Brian,
I've checked the VP for your exchange and it's currently fine, although we're due an updated report today which I'll check to see if it's changed.
At the moment I'd suggest running through our faults wizard http://faults.plus.net so we can take a closer look at you line.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Same exchange and I was on that gateway until I had problems watching streamed TV, currently ptn-ag01since Tuesday at 9pm ish.  But I've had no slow downs in the evenings, unless mine is to slow to see it as I get at best 5mbit usually its 4.5mbit.  Wondering if that is why and you see it as you normally get 13mbit, as I have been having fair amount of streaming and gaming issues since December which are possibly on top of the PN issues.  So guess that there are a lot of us in Inverness that went unlimited with PN/BT etc around the new year.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: chrispurvey
I've checked the VP for your exchange and it's currently fine, although we're due an updated report today which I'll check to see if it's changed.

Thanks Chris - bearing in mind in the OP the Exchange Checker shows 20CN information but the exchange is 21CN and has been for a few years now, or did you get the info from the horse's mouth?
As I say I can't do peak time tests until towards the end of next week I'll check back then and go down the fault route if necessary.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think the automated line tests check (live) VP information for the exchange. However collected information for all exchanges is also made available in 20CN and 21CN files which Plusnet can access.
Plusnet upload 20CN VP data into the Exchange Checker, but a program update will be needed to handle similar 21CN data.
David