Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time packet loss on ptw-bng01

jimbof
Grafter

Peak time packet loss on ptw-bng01

Not very pretty looking.

Not noticed any ill-effect, but can't be good...
64 REPLIES 64
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Peak time packet loss on ptw-bng01

What if you join a different gateway? Is the problem replicated?
If it was a gateway problem, I would hope the network operations guys would have picked up on it quickly and published a status.
jimbof
Grafter

It was last night.  You can see exactly the same packet loss on at least 7 of the user graphs on the following page:
http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
Specifically:
Barry Zubel
Froggy666UK
Finguz
Lorisarvendu
RichardB
PeteB
Me! (Jimbof)
I'll wait to see if it is still doing it tonight and then "jump ship" Smiley
Finguz
Grafter

Yeah I noticed this starting again and I've tried several gateways, including bng01, with the same results.

AndyH
Grafter

@ Finguz - Are you on BNG01 now?
@ jimbof - Need to work out first if everyone is on the same gateway. It could also be the case that there's an issue in BT's network somewhere (you might all be linked geographically).
jimbof
Grafter

Not conclusive I know, but I can only see it on Plusnet graphs in the following collection of TBB graphs:
http://craigswebsites.co.uk/ping/
I guess makes it more likely to be Plusnet-specific.
AndyH
Grafter

You can discount all the Virgin graphs, as they are a different network.
There's only a few others to compare to PN.
Let's see what gateway Finguz is on. If he's on bng01, then it adds weight to it being gateway specific packet loss.
andy265
Grafter

One of our office connections is on bng01 and showing the same loss last night.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Do not see what the problem is, these are all sweet graphs - see mine below!
A few lost ping packets is nothing to worry about.  Under extreme conditions the infrastructure is designed to drop ping packets.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

The gateways on and off have been like this since November ish last year.  Dave has a theory why
My theory is that there's congestion on one of the routes between the BRASs and us but not every route. The route will change when you disconnect/reconnect.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123979.msg1076447.html#msg1076447
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jimbof
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Do not see what the problem is, these are all sweet graphs - see mine below!

The graphs mark a change - I rarely see such drops - so it must be worth looking into.
Also, ping traffic is minute in the scheme of things - so if ping is being dropped you can bet other stuff is negatively impacted too. 
What is weird is that the graph isn't particularly hairy below the red drops - the maximum latency has barely been impacted.
I can already see there are drops happening again this evening.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Townman loss is worse than straight up higher latency when watching streams/gaming, due to the data having to be resent.  Constant loss can easily cause a stream to stop and have to be refreshed or in some cases restarted.  Or for online gaming, it causes rubber banding lag i.e. move 10 feet forward and you get pushed back 10 feet.  That down to the loss making you get out of sync with the server, which moves you back to where it thinks you are.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Finguz
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
@ Finguz - Are you on BNG01 now?

I was on pcl-ag07 when I posted, but yes the packet loss on the posted graph shows an evening connected to bng01, before hopping to pcl-ag07. I was seeing the same loss on two other gateways previously though.
I'm currently on ptw-ag04 after hopping from pcl-ag07  Crazy
jimbof
Grafter

Quote from: Gus
My theory is that there's congestion on one of the routes between the BRASs and us but not every route. The route will change when you disconnect/reconnect.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123979.msg1076447.html#msg1076447

I also see in that post a request from Dave not to disconnect if you get this so that they can trace the exact route; bearing that in mind I'll leave mine as it is (I'm not seeing a problem on the line as is).
I can see that I'm getting around 1% packet loss for UDP IPTV simulated traffic from the following test site, so it isn't just ping:
http://www.myconnectiontest.com/iptvtest/try.html
This is probably bad news for streaming players and anything else using UDP.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Townman
Under extreme conditions the infrastructure is designed to drop ping packets.

I think you're confusing this with a traceroute. Apart from your own router being too busy to reply to the ping, or the tbb firebrick, I don't think there's anything that should be treating the ping packets any different to any other packets that pass through it.