cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time leading to 1000ms+ ping and moderate download speeds

Fletcher
Dabbler

Peak time leading to 1000ms+ ping and moderate download speeds

Good day to whoever reads this.  I think I better follow the pinned topic for this one:
1: I cannot find any information that can be linked to my router unfortunately, but its a Vigor2700 Series (oldish, I know)
2: I believe these images shall convey relevant information.

Here is an image of my ping during peak hours:

3: Here is my 'regular' speed

During the early hours of the morning, say between 6am to 10am, my speed is great, as well as my ping.  Bang up job for the speeds my 'rural' area can be provided with.  However, for the past week, my speed is usually down to a fifth, typically 200KB/s and the ping is just astronomical.  I initially put it down to some line maintenance or a hiccup in the system that would pass in time.  But it has gotten to the point where I am losing my patience since I cannot game with my friends, nor effectively watch videos for research.
I have contacted the PlusNet support via their online chat system today, and they cannot find a fault on the line, without me raising a fault ticket.  Last time I did this, it all equated to a micro-filter issue and I was charged for a call out.  I felt like a right idiot.  I want to use a call out as a last resort.
I'll run through some other basic information about my system.
Connection type: Wired, router connects straight to master socket, PC links straight to router, one micro filter.
I have attempted to switch my DNS settings through Windows via this guide http://www.plus.net/support/software/dns/changing_dns_windows7.shtml, however after inputting the primary and secondary DNS settings, my router automatically connects to the Tertiary and 'Optional' DNS settings as shown on this website.  https://www.whatsmydns.net/dns/uk/plusnet.html
Here is my router online status

I am attempting to go through my router settings to try and force the DNS settings.
EDIT:  I've done what I can my end to force the DNS settings, both on router and windows side.  I tried to make the following changes:
Primary DNS: 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS: 212.159.13.50
I keep being forced to
EDIT2:  Pre-connection  Live connection
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Peak time leading to 1000ms+ ping and moderate download speeds

Hi 'Fletcher',  welcome to the forum !   Smiley

Can you ask Plusnet support to check whether your exchange is reporting congestion issues ? - i.e. it's capacity is overloaded !
Fiddling with DNS will make no difference to your speeds or ping times.  Both sets of DNS values are correct for Plusnet.
You might want to obscure your telephone number from picture 3:
Fletcher
Dabbler

Ah, silly me, snipped that picture out.  
Here is my local exchange status, oh no, its amber...
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Pontyates&exact=4619&plugin=vp
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem with the Plusnet exchange checker, is that your exchange status has not been updated since 31-Jan-2014.
The only way I know of finding out about current exchange congestion if for a member of the support team to go and look it up !
They do have the information to hand, but the data file format changed so it could no longer be used to update the exchange checker.
The staff should also be able to tell you (if the exchange is overloaded) when BT expect to increase capacity.
Unfortunately my connection is showing similar symptoms to yours, as my exchange has been increasingly overloaded since March 2014, and BT might get around to fixing it March 2015  Angry

Have you seen that there are recent firmware updates for your Vigor2700 ?
Some of the updates fix security vulnerabilities which have been problems for other Plusnet customers recently.
Here is the DrayTek firmware download page - http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads
Fletcher
Dabbler

Ah I see, I will contact them tomorrow after work.  As for my router, its up to date.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you put that picture back, but just crop away your telephone number, as the exchange name, estimated line speed, and current line speed, are all useful and relevant to anyone else trying to help you.  Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could a member of the DCT staff please check the congestion status for exchange "Pontyates" (Code: SWPYH).
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Hi there.
From what we can see a couple of virtual paths at your exchange are a little over capacity however the one that your connected to isn't.
I'd recommend raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net so our faults team can investigate further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Fletcher
Dabbler

Am I being connected to an incorrect exchange? If read that right.
dick:quote
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Woops I didn't mean the exchange I meant the actual virtual path your connected to doesn't have any congestion issues.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'Fletcher' -
A virtual path is a fixed bandwidth link between the exchange and the next level up in the BT infrastructure hierarchy.
In an exchange, a number of customers will be grouped together to share part of the bandwidth of a single virtual path.
An exchange will have a number of separate virtual paths, yours is just one of those.
If the usage by ALL the customers on YOUR virtual path exceeds it's capacity, then that virtual path is congested.
Matthew is saying your exchange has some congested paths, but yours isn't one of those.

I would also suggest raising a fault using the link provided, so that the network team can test your line, after you have confirmed what tests you have already been through.
Fletcher
Dabbler

Ah I've learned something today.
Dumb question, does the add-on for priority connections do anything against virtual patching? I subscribed to it the other day, the £5 a month one.
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, the Plusnet (£5) "pro" add-on will make no difference to the priority of your traffic at the exchange.
In most cases it is a complete waste of money, and is generally only of use when applied to old legacy products sold more than two years ago.

However there is another option on your "20CN, D.gmt" connection, called "Max Premium", which does two things -

• It can raise your upstream sync speed from the current 448Kbps UP TO a maximum of 832Kbps.

• It raises the priority of your traffic across the BT infrastructure, above other users on ordinary traffic priority.

Unfortunately it costs £7.83 per month, but is going to be more effective than the "pro" add-on you have at the moment !.
To read about "Max Premium", here is the Plusnet "Prioritised Service FAQ"
Wink
Fletcher
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew
Hi there.
From what we can see a couple of virtual paths at your exchange are a little over capacity however the one that your connected to isn't.
I'd recommend raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net so our faults team can investigate further.

I've raised a ticket, now I await.  I've left a link to this thread, so hopefully that will help since it's got some information from my side they may not be able to get on the fly.
Quote from: purleigh
@'Fletcher' -
A virtual path is a fixed bandwidth link between the exchange and the next level up in the BT infrastructure hierarchy.
In an exchange, a number of customers will be grouped together to share part of the bandwidth of a single virtual path.
An exchange will have a number of separate virtual paths, yours is just one of those.
If the usage by ALL the customers on YOUR virtual path exceeds it's capacity, then that virtual path is congested.
Matthew is saying your exchange has some congested paths, but yours isn't one of those.

I would also suggest raising a fault using the link provided, so that the network team can test your line, after you have confirmed what tests you have already been through.

Well now, once this hoo-ha is over, I'll look into that, only a little more and I get more speed, but most importantly, more upload which I desperately need.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think your last quote is the wrong one !

You might as well cancel the Plusnet "pro" add-on, as it's a waste of £5, and can make normal internet use worse.
It is only of use on legacy accounts during peak-times, or gamers who's game isn't prioritized correctly, and some people pushing the limits on some specific protocols.