cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time latency on TBB graphs

mrcoyote
Dabbler

Peak time latency on TBB graphs

Is anyone else getting "humps" at peak time on their TBB graphs?  This was apparently fixed a while back, but seems to be reoccurring of late. Sad

My Samknows Whitebox is showing the same...
8 REPLIES 8
jimbof
Grafter

Re: Peak time latency on TBB graphs

You can see a load of other ppl's graphs here:
http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
One thing I have noticed on my own connection; I've recently put in place a huge QoS reserve (keeping back 10 megabits down and 3 or 4 up, so my link is never saturated), and prioritised all ping traffic - and my graphs are now almost flat with a _very_ slight bump.  It stands to reason - traffic on my own network tends to be around peak time too, so when browsing instantaneously peaks to use the whole of the connection then pings are going to struggle to get through over my web browsing.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@mrcoyote - Does this cause you any noticeable issues at all?
SuperZoom
Grafter

It's disappeared for me, even on the older gateways, since the recent BT Wholesale congestion remediation works and the introduction of the new PlusNet gateway.
So I don't know whether that's down to better SVLAN sizing, or to changes to titanium queue handling across all the gateways as well as the new one, or better capacity in the PlusNet network...
It clearly does depend on factors characterizing an individual connection, whether that is the exchange, the cabinet (if relevant) or the particular virtual network path.
AndyH
Grafter

@ mrcoyote - I take it you have an Asus router? I've been in contact with Asus over the last two weeks in an attempt to resolve the general spikes seen with their routers. I think it's something to do with RP-PPPoE that the AsusWRT uses.
SuperZoom
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
I've been in contact with Asus over the last two weeks in an attempt to resolve the general spikes seen with their routers.

But
Quote from: Chris
Does this cause you any noticeable issues at all?

Cheesy Wink
Sorry - couldn't resist!    Tongue
chrcoluk
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
@ mrcoyote - I take it you have an Asus router? I've been in contact with Asus over the last two weeks in an attempt to resolve the general spikes seen with their routers. I think it's something to do with RP-PPPoE that the AsusWRT uses.

I did notice when I used to use tomato firmware, spikes were less when utilised.  Tomato firmware has too many issues tho (especially on ipv6) so I use asuswrt-merlin.
My graphs are looking bad again at peak times, which I am not convinced its a firmware issue as I dont only use my connection at peak, I am often here using it 8-12 hours a day.  Sometimes even more.
What I can say is that the apparent jitter latency spikes visible on my graphs do not seem apparent in real world performance, the amount of blue thats started to appear on my graphs would most defenitly be noticeable on ssh sessions and it isnt.  Manual pinging also has steady pings during peak times.  Some people who know me from other forums know that I like to complain when things arent right, and I have been quiet dispite the state of the graphs and that is because it hasnt been reflected in my real world usage.  The only time I started seeing consistent problems at peak was when the BTw congestion problems rose up which thankfully got put down fast.
deathtrap
Grafter

For me sometimes when there is peak time jitter present i will also see throughput reduced  or a greater degree of fluctuation in throughput , sometimes it's only the DS affected  but their has been times when both US /DS affected  or only US , throughput reduced to less than 50% at times, always during the evening (peaking at 9-9.45pm )or late afternoon(from 4pm) of Sundays or bank holiday Mondays,
there have been times when there has been only a very small amount of jitter(yellow spiking) on the tbb graph and i still have had slower throughput
I don't see throughput issues outside these peak times unless a gateway is having issues, However some times hopping gateways can provide a short term solution, but this isn't guaranteed ,
In the 12mths iv'e been a customer of plusnet, although there's no definitive pattern  the poor throughput at peak times  does seem to disappear  for a time before once again reappearing , the jitter has never total disappeared although there have been times when it has been close to doing so, very low amounts ,
mrcoyote
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
@mrcoyote - Does this cause you any noticeable issues at all?

It "feels" slower during these periods as sites "appear" to take longer to load, but there's no corresponding report with regards to website load times on the whitebox.
I've just seen a new update for the Asus router so I'll see whether that makes any difference, but it may be a coincidence of a gateway hop from ptw-ag01.