cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time PLUSNET, bad?

KaotiK
Grafter

Peak time PLUSNET, bad?

Hey, is plusnet always bad in peak time? i usually work evenings so ive never really noticed, but being home this week, peak evening times performance is really bad.. for example, watching streams, even on low quality they stop and buffer... in games, i get constant ping spikes, yet when i do a speed test my speed is fine so it doesnt look like thats throttled? is it traffic management? i thought plusnet did that well so i dont really understand? Does resetting router do anything?
14 REPLIES 14
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Peak time PLUSNET, bad?

Have you tried it both on wired and wireless ?
It could be neighbours on the same channel wireless are all using it at the same time. During the day where I live it is usually quite fast during the day but can be a little "sticky" during the evening on wireless - it is fine on wired though.
KaotiK
Grafter

Im always on wired, the only one using it, my neighbour is on BT not plusnet also.
picbits
Rising Star

If you're on wired then that rules out wireless congestion.
Maybe set up a thinkbroadband type monitor on your connection and see how your pings and latency changes at the peak times.
KaotiK
Grafter

whats weird also is a random time after 10pm usually before 10:30pm my connection drops for a few seconds, comes back on, then i have no problems at all? this happens every day!
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi KaotiK,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues with your connection.
I've taken a look at your line and for a short line, it's not operating all that great. Interestingly, I can see data about lines connected to the same telephone pole as you, none of them are performing that well - it's good to be able to compare.
The first issue we have is that there is a congestion issue at your Local Exchange, our suppliers have plans to resolve this within the next few working days. With regards to your line itself, it looks as though your lien as well as one other connected to your telephone pole (I don't have any information as to who that other line actually belongs to) is operating very poorly.
Can you please visit http://faults.plus.net and complete this, when doing this, please refer to this thread on your Fault Ticket and I'll work with the Faults Team to get this issue resolved for you.
KaotiK
Grafter

Ok, done that now. Im using the router you guys provided me with now since about a week also.. ive noticed my download speed is slightly better with it but still have all these problems regardless of router.
Also i mentioned it in another thread, but am i able to get my upload speed uncapped also when all this is solved? or is it not possible on my line i dont know what im on.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The congestion issues are at the Local Exchange, so I don't think you'll see an improvement on any other hardware.
We'll get your line looked at anyhow and we'll be in touch.
KaotiK
Grafter

once again, 10-10:30 my net drops, this time its dropped like 8 times in a row... soo annoying its unreal why this time every night? i dont get it! just doesnt make sense? i hope the faults team can sort this stuff out
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Same time every night rather implies electrical interference from something being switched.  Need to get your line fault fixed first.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

KaotiK
Grafter

Cant think of what turns off at that time though, wouldnt electrical things shut off the pwoer to the router? cuz that doesnt go off
picbits
Rising Star

Sometimes you get faulty stuff outside the property such as street lighting which causes interference with your line and connection.
If it happens at more or less the same time every evening and morning it is work looking at.
KaotiK
Grafter

well still absolute trash in peak times, any update on this?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If the number of errors logged by the router doesn't shoot up and you are still synced at the same speed when you experience slow peak time speeds whilst at other times it is OK  it's nothing to do with your line, electrical equipment or anything similar. It will be that BT still haven't fixed the capacity issues.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
If you're continuing to have issues with the service at peak times, please reply to Ticket: 86277317.