Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak-time Congestion

g1000
Grafter

Peak-time Congestion

Hello
For the past few weeks, we have been suffering bad peak-time congestion. Previously, speeds have been fine peak-time.

In the daytime, download speeds are still perfect. The issue gradually resolves by 11pm-midnight.

I have a good line and DLM has always selected a 3dB download profile for years without trouble (keeps sync for 6 months+, speeds fine, SNR stable overnight). Plusnet thought this was causing the problem and reset the profile to 6dB but as I suspected it didn't help.
46 REPLIES 46
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Peak-time Congestion

Which exchange are you on?
g1000
Grafter

rhydsnewi
Grafter

Sounds like my fault. Has it got worse in the last week or so?
I'm on a BT Wholesale/Market 1 exchange in north wales
AndyH
Grafter

@ rhydsnewi - Are you near Wrexham by any chance?
@ g1000 - Have you raised a fault ticket? The CRT guys on here should pick this up.
chrcoluk
Grafter

do a gateway hop, do it at least 5 times, if you dont get an improvement.
There is an issue currently that is undiagnosed whereby hopping gateways can bring performance back.
AndyH
Grafter

If the OP's speeds are only a problem at peak times, then it's not consistent with that specific issue.
g1000
Grafter

Thanks. I do have a ticket open: Question #98268110.
I hopped between these gateways with no improvement: ptn-ag01, ptn-ag02, pcl-ag01, ptw-ag01, pcl-ag04, ptn-bng01
rhydsnewi
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
@ rhydsnewi - Are you near Wrexham by any chance?

Llanuwchllyn/Bala, so about 30 miles away.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

With the recent surge in fibre installations and the fact that Christmas no doubt brought another increase in bandwidth-hungry devices I'd personally be amazed if BT is keeping up with demand, and even more amazed if they were in any hurry to fully disclose where and when these bottlenecks are occurring.  Roll_eyes
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: rhydsnewi
Llanuwchllyn/Bala, so about 30 miles away.

There was an issue with Wrexham a couple of weeks ago (it might be related) - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134900.0.html
Are you on Llanuwchllyn exchange? You can check on http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ by putting in your number.
rhydsnewi
Grafter

I'm on llanuwchllyn exchange (I can see it from my front door!). Only issue locally is that we've just got fibre, so possibly a local backhaul issue?
g1000
Grafter

Out of interest, does anyone know why all these graphs say 'image unavailable'? http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/network-latency.shtml
Peak-time congestion again tonight. Hope to get a response from someone at Plusnet soon.
AndyH
Grafter

I don't think they've worked for some time. There are quite a few graphing issues that need fixing.
You can also look at this, although I doubt it's much use - http://www.plus.net/support/service/network_performance/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml
g1000
Grafter

@ g1000 - Have you raised a fault ticket? The CRT guys on here should pick this up.

When will that happen? It's been another day, and still no reply to my post or my ticket.
I don't think they've worked for some time. There are quite a few graphing issues that need fixing.

When will they fix it? Can the Operations team even see the graphs or is the monitoring broken? The webpage says: "Here are some of the graphs used to monitor latency across our network. What you're seeing here is exactly what our Operations team see"