cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak Time Latency Issues - Possibly Bradwell Abbey (MK) Node

AndyH
Grafter

Peak Time Latency Issues - Possibly Bradwell Abbey (MK) Node

Continuing on from the previous thread...
This evening the peak issue continues. I have tried running some speed tests and I am getting 20% of my normal download speeds

dave's theory that it is a Bradwell Abbey issue (major BT node) seems to be right as other users (different ISPs too) on local exchanges seem affected too.
Edit: Raised it with the MKBAG group to see if they have any news. I know some other local exchanges had fibre orders on hold due to capacity issues, but I thought that was due to new connection capacity rather than bandwidth capacity
18 REPLIES 18
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Peak Time Latency Issues - Possibly Bradwell Abbey (MK) Node

This started just after a fire near Northampton (not far from MK): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-24240192
Could it be a result of extra connections being re-routed?
(I presume it is not just Plusnet affected by this issue)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
AndyH
Grafter

I was thinking that but
Quote from: w23

I was thinking that but apparently the BTW network wasn't affected. Some peering companies (L3) were affected though.
O2/Sky said they were going to re-route traffic to another local data centre.
AndyH
Grafter

Amos91
Dabbler

Quote from: AndyH
I was thinking that but
Quote from: w23

I was thinking that but apparently the BTW network wasn't affected. Some peering companies (L3) were affected though.
O2/Sky said they were going to re-route traffic to another local data centre.

And they haven't actually successfully re-routed those affected in the Nortampton area and this is only around 360 customers.
w23
Pro

Deleted - may well be completely irrelevant.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've sent the case over to Zen (thanks for pointing that out Andy) and a couple of other ISPs to see if they've got examples. The case is still open with BTW, I'll chase it later today depending what I hear back from industry,
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
w23
Pro

Looking at the TBB monitors, there's mine (W23), MrRich Thomas and kmilburn - all on FTTC showing the unmistakable 'volcano'.
No monitors on non-fibre showing this anomaly (maybe just not enough monitors to have one in the area).
Call me 'w23'
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

This our internal monitoring of latency on the Milton Keynes node for Wednesday night and TBB have posted this graph of Zen users:
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/images/zenbqm.jpg
Expecting an update from BTW this afternoon.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
MsDizzie
Grafter

@w23 its not just FTTC that's affected, I'm on ADSL and live in Peterborough and I'm affected too  Sad
w23
Pro

Thanks MsDizzie, I wasn't sure as it was just based on an observation of the Plusnet TBB monitors page: http://community.plus.net/ping-graphs/
Call me 'w23'
MsDizzie
Grafter

I don't have a fixed IP, anyway... happy to help with info!
Let's see what tonight brings.
SuperZoom
Grafter

Possibly Bradwell Abbey (MK) Node... or possibly not?
Though BTw's routing might mean my connection goes through there, I'm not in or near Milton Keynes or Northampton.
AndyH
Grafter

Sunday night is normally busy and there appear to be no latency issues so far tonight - so problem/issue fixed?
@ Superzoom - I think this problem isn't related to your issues (due to the timing). Dave mentioned you can sometimes find out your BRAS from the router PPP logs. If you can find yours, it might be worth setting up some ping monitoring to check performance.
SuperZoom
Grafter

You're probably right, Andy. Certainly no repeat tonight.
In fact, flat as a pancake, with a very fine dusting of peak time yellow. Couldn't even describe it as a hump.
Had a quick glance at the logs, but no indication of BRAS in the ongoing keep-alive chatter. Might be in the connection setup further back.