cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for some thing that I no longer get

DaveMcC
Grafter

Paying for some thing that I no longer get

Saturday afternoon and this bb speed has hit the rocks,, don't know why but Firefox crashed out when I pasted in speed test from BT  "http://www.speedtester.bt.com/" but it read less than 2000kbps who stole the other 5 000
Plusnet answer to this is...............It ain't good honest broadband, as they would have you believe in their TV ads
Dear Mr Mcconnell,
02 Have their own equipment installed at your telephone exchange, which is why they can offer an ADSL2+ broadband product. We use BT wholesale's equipment, which does not offer this service at your exchange. However, the new fibre optic network has been installed in your area, so you could switch to one of our new fibre products, which would exponentially increase your throughput speeds:
NOTE (switch to one of our new fibre products, which would exponentially increase your throughput speeds) ya, but I will not pay any extra
NO! I think that the owners of Plusnet "BT" have turned the speed away down to get you to upgrade to fibre.. thus more money out of pocket, rather than give me what I am paying for 7100kbps, use to hit 9000kbps with O2
It is still the same phone line and router so who stole the speed?
Thursday night, I wanted to watch a program on BBC iplayer, turned it on at 11:15pm after 15 minutes I give up, 3 minutes of program the rest was buffer
And now that the killer apps are home, there is no chance of this line working 3laptops 2 computers, monitor has to be shared, finally 1 Xbox
Don't see why I should pay for some thing I no longer get............................................................
39 REPLIES 39
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Paying for some thing that I no longer get

you appear to be on ADSL 20 CN which has a mximum speed synch of 8128 and just under 7000 download
and as you were told when on O2 you were on LLU (Local Loop unbundle) which is not BT equipement but O2 in the exchange
Chalk and Cheese job
BT operate a system on there equipment that if it detects a fault will drop your speed down
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do you know your router stats for Down Line attenuation and SN  margin ? With these it is possible to estimate your expected speeds.
You can check this at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
If you are not getting close to these then you should raise a fault ticket, through your Plusnet account, and see if anything can be sorted
DaveMcC
Grafter

Living in Northern Ireland, I have been lead to beleive that until recently all the exchanges were "NOT unbundle" and that included O2
its just like this, I use to get 7000kbps but not now and that was with Plusnet
There has been a fault ticket raised for about 3 weeks now read this
8pm 6th June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 457 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
9:30am 7th June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4913 Kbps
Additional Information:

11am 7th June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4790 Kbps
Additional Information:
2pm 7th June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4770 Kbps
Additional Information:
6pm 7th June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 740 Kbps
Additional Information:
Sunday 7pm 12 June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1631 Kbps
Additional Information:
Monday 8am 13 June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4449 Kbps
Additional Information:
Monday 11pm 13 June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2819 Kbps
Additional Information:
Thursday 8pm 16 June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 2900 Kbps
Additional Information:
Monday 9pm 20 June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1992 Kbps
Additional Information:
Wednesday 11:50pm 22 June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5167 Kbps
Additional Information:
Friday 9 30pm 24 June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 813 Kbps
Additional Information:

Sunday 6pm 26 June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3693 Kbps
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbp
Wednesday 6pm 29 June
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4402 Kbps
Additional Information:
DaveMcC
Grafter

router Netgear DG834
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 21 db 5.5 db
Noise Margin 13 db 28 db
Stewthecue
Grafter

Join the club, I'm currently paying for unlimited up to 8mb broadband, and i'm getting 300k.
The year is 2011, and my speeds are no better than when i had an isdn line in 1998. It's pathetic.
Nearly a month with unusable internet, and no closer to knowing why. I'm disgusted.
DaveMcC
Grafter

Ya, its all a great lie to us the punters
There are prats out there that will pay for any thing and believe what they are told
Its time we started paying for what we get not "UP TO"
Max of £2 per 1 000kbps, that would leave you Stewthecue with a bill of 60pence per month
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Well the reason you get slow download speeds is because there is (or sometimes was) a lot of noise or interference on the broadband signal.  This could be due to something in your house, or nearby, or something on the telephone line or a faulty router or faulty equipment in the telephone exchange.  Or sometimes the perception of a slow download speed is wrong because it's actually a slow wireless connection or something else connected to your router using up the bandwidth.  Or sometimes the speed gets deliberately throttled.  The only way to get speed problems fixed is to identify the cause.  DaveMcC's sync rate and IP Profile always remain high which seems to suggest everything is fine when the router establishes the connection but then the speed in the test is always much lower than the IP Profile would suggest. so something goes wrong later.  Dave, given that you have 4 computers, two laptops and an Xbox, are you sure one of these is not hogging your internet connection?  The only way to be absolutely sure is to switch everything else off when your run the test.     
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you want an independent view of the broadband equipment available in your exchange why not check it out by entering your phone number and postcode into Kitz's availability checker here?
David
WWWombat
Grafter

@ReedRichards - the SNRM figure looks higher than expected, but not because of noise causing a high target value. Instead it is because the OP is close to the exchange, with an attenuation figure of 21dB.
@DaveMcC - the router's line stats (sync speed, SNRM and attenuation) look fine, assuming you are within 1 mile of the exchange, and the exchange . Can you confirm that the time figures (on the same page) show that you stay connected for a long time?
To step back slightly, and taking things in order...
As everyone keeps telling you, an O2 connection would allow you to connect to their ADSL2+ equipment, which ought to sync up to 19 Mbps at 1 mile distance (so only *9* Mbps is actually pretty poor!)
With an ISP that uses BT's equipment, you are dependent on the equipment that BT have installed in the exchange - which Plusnet have said is the older ADSLmax technology, which will only sync at up to 8Mbps. Your router shows that you *are* syncing at 8Mbps, so this part is as good as it can get.
Once you get your best speed (the 8128 Kbps), then the next requirement is for this to be kept up in a stable way. If your "Connection Time" shows this connection being kept for days on end, or even weeks, then this part is fine. But if it keeps disconnecting (multiple times within a day), then the exchange can slow down your sync speed. This is a feature that only exists in the BT equipment (not the O2 stuff), and they choose to do it for, they say, stability reasons. If you confirm you get long connection times, then we can discard this as the cause of your problem...
Once you can be sure that your connection is stable, then the finger-pointing now points at congestion at the BT exchange, or a problem at Plusnet's side. The former is more likely, so the next thing to get checked would be the VP capacity at your exchange.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: DaveMcC
Its time we started paying for what we get not "UP TO"
Max of £2 per 1 000kbps, that would leave you Stewthecue with a bill of 60pence per month

If BT were compelled to price the wholsale service in this kind of way, i think you'd discover the law of unintended consequences... they'd only bother providing service if they thought you'd get 8Mbps. There is nothing yet in place to force BT to have to provide an internet connection (where there is for voice service).
I reckon that, once you've taken all the fixed-cost elements out of BT's share, there is maybe 50p-£1 that can be used to vary the cost based on line-speed. The rest is either fixed, or is proprotional to your total usage, not your speed.
I found an interesting analysis earlier: Talk-talk were seeing a peak-hour usage of 50Kbps per customer in 2009, and were expecting that to go up 50% each year - so 100Kbps now, perhaps? Obviously that is averaged over their enire user-base, but it shows that someone who only gets 250Kbps can still use more than their "expected" allowance.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: WWWombat
@ReedRichards - the SNRM figure looks higher than expected, but not because of noise causing a high target value. Instead it is because the OP is close to the exchange, with an attenuation figure of 21dB.

WWWombat, I didn't comment on the SNR figure; my comments addressed the fact that the speed test results were always way short of the IP Profile.  The only physical means I can see by which this can come about is if there is a lot of packet loss so data often has to be resent before it gets through but this is not constant or bad enough to stop the router syncing at normal speed.  Of course, there are a number of reasons why the test result might be unreliable and a number of means by which the traffic could be being throttled (such as "exchange congestion") but is it not possible for a broadband connection to be "stable" yet bad?   
DaveMcC
Grafter

Reply #7 ReedRichards
As there is no wireless router here, thats ruled out, all other wires were disconnected from router during tests, except for 1 didnt know son was downloading on his xbox
No, two computers 3 laptops one failing to work, so that leaves 2 laptops 1 xbox, and the laptops only came home on Tuesday nite past 28th July
I would suggest "speed gets deliberately throttled" to get people to spend more money
Reply #8 spraxyt
LLU Not available,  Cable Not available, Wireless Not available
Reply #9
Distance:- Direct:    422 metres
  (appx)* By Road: 966 metres
Like I have said before the great BT lie we all have to enjure, make the poor pay for the rich cock-ups
And why was it that up untill mid May I was getting 7 000kbps
Tell you what Plusnet let me try fibre for 10 weeks see does it hold its speed
Can't even watch BBC iplayer in the middle of the night
puddy
Grafter

I would suggest "speed gets deliberately throttled" to get people to spend more money
And why was it that up untill mid May I was getting 7 000kbps

Have you done anything to try and get this sorted out?  Try ringing BT to see if theirs a line fault on your land line dont mention you are having internet speed problems because they wont help you at all!!!  Say when making out going calls its a bit crackle let them run a test it cost nothing.  I had a line fault on mine.  Give it  go
next go in to the stats settings on your router to see if the line keeps getting disconected.  Whats your internal telephone wiring like? do you have filters on all you BT sockets?  Theirs a problem somewhere thats why you speed is being lowered to try and make your line stable or have you gone over your download limit at all in the last month?
puddy
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

I'm on the Plusnet value package, sync at 7616 kbps, IP Profile 6500, speed tests typically >5000 kbps, iPlayer download speed typically 5 mbps, no problems with iPlayer streaming.
Nobody is throttling my broadband beyond Plusnet's published limits so if you think you are being mistreated - well it isn't happening to all of us!