cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying For My Daughters ADSL?

Boodz85
Grafter

Paying For My Daughters ADSL?

my daughter does not have a direct debit account but lives with me but spends most of her time at her boyfriends, he does not have broadband at the present time and i want to know if i can order them broadband for his address but it be in my name and paid from my account?
Is this possible with plusnet?
Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Paying For My Daughters ADSL?

You can't have two lines on one account
The next question is whether you can set up broadband on the boyfriends phone line which I think is possible providing it is a BT line
However that will be more expensive as the phone won't be with Plusnet
Boodz85
Grafter

was referring to a new order under his address but using my name and bank account, so there would be 2 accounts at 2 different addresses but both paid for by me (on seperate accounts as in 2 seperate direct debits).
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That shouldn't be a problem I believe
Joshc
Grafter

Oldjim is correct! It wouldn't  be a problem at all, you can call our sales team on 0800 432 0200 and explain exactly what you want and they will sort it out for you. Smiley
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Don't forget to setup the second account using a referral from your existing account  Wink Wink
Boodz85
Grafter

will i be able to use my account to refer them if i do it over the phone or is this only available for online orders?  Also do you provide the ability to block premium rate and mobile calls from the landline as i dont wish her to be able to run up a massive bill as she has learning difficulties and does not really understand the concept of money and the cost of calls etc.

Thx
Joshc
Grafter

You would be able to refer yourself online or over the phone just make sure you give the sales agent your username if you do it over the phone!
In regards to blocking calls, we do not have this facility. However,  you can ask to implement a credit limit as low as £5 a month on the account once it has gone live.
If you have any more queries do not hesitate to fire away.
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Joshua,
Is my memory failing me or has flexibility changed - IIRC out going call restrictions (BT Call Barring) has been provided in the past on a case by case basis.  It needs manual processing, but given that this is essentially a "BT" line, it ought to be possible (I did not say commercially practical) to get any BT service enabled.

Boodz,
One other approach to this is to get a DECT phone system which blocks numbers starting 09 / 07 etc.  Panasonic call this "Call Restriction" which should not be confused with "Call Blocking" or "Call Barring" which tends to refer to "managing" unwanted inbound calls.
See - http://www.pmctelecom.co.uk/shop/dect-multiple-handset-with-answering-machine/panasonic-kxtg8062eb-t...
There are also other devices - see http://www.amazon.co.uk/999-Call-Blocker-Restrict-Outgoing/dp/B00C81AIHY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qi... - though the £90 price tag is a bit steep.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

A low credit limit is a really rotten idea as hitting it will immediately block all calls and land you with a £5.76 charge
Joshc
Grafter

Thanks for your comments guys.
@Townman - In this situation, it's not something that we could offer and even on a case by case basis, it's extremely rare that we would apply the restriction on the line.
@Oldjim - True. It's not the best of ideas however it is a way to manage how outbound calls are used.
I understand it's quite a frustrating situation, especially when a landline may only be used for a broadband service however apart from applying a low call credit limit, there is little that can be done.
If anyone has any further suggestions, please feel free to chip in.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Joshua,
Your reply invites the question "In what situation might you offer this service on a case by case basis and what are those 'extremely rare' circumstances where PlusNet would apply restrictions to the line?".
Outbound call barring is a telephony service provided on BTOR equipment - if there is customer demand for this service option, why does PlusNet not offer it as either a standard service or by special request?  Such a service is especially important where there is a clear need to facilitate a communication capability with an understandable need to limit cost liability.  In most situations one might well expect a subscriber to be self disciplined and to accept full responsibility for their actions.  I think the OP has presented a situation here were such normal considerations are not reasonable and other solutions (as provided by other CP retailers) are required.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

The obvious suggestioin is to use BT for the phone then you can bar all calls with a pin number http://bt.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/2431266/1335438547/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzIvdGltZS8xNDIwMDQ0...
You then need to decide whether it is more economical to get the broadband from them as well as you won't get any discounts from Plusnet and will get hit with a £2.50 per month extra charge
AlexD
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Townman,
Though we do operate on the BT Network, we don't offer all of the services that are available on the network or that BT Retail may provide.
I can't offer a reason as to why Plusnet don't offer this service I'm afraid. We may offer this service on a temporary basis should the line be faulty etc and there is an extensive repair time, but in this situation, the restriction wouldn't be applied.
I understand it can be frustrating however there are other alternatives to prevent high call charges such as a lower credit limit or maybe a pin locked phone.
We've explained to the OP why we cannot offer the service and should they have any further concerns regarding this, they can contact us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex D
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Alex,
Two final questions...
1. Are we talking about the same thing here?  Outbound call blocking to specified numbers or area codes (e.g. 09xx and 07xx) does not seem to have any helpful application in the context of a faulty line - be that a short or long term issue.  Note this a very different service to a complete bar on outbound calls - is that what you were thinking of?
2. Will you please pass onto your product packaging team / marketing that there is consumer demand for the "standard" services technically available on the BT phone network, but not presently commercially available via PlusNet, asking that these limitations be reviewed at the next product refresh.  Such limitations are frustrating to users and are potentially a negative selling point.
Thanks,
Kevin