cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pathetic speed and router

aafzal
Dabbler

Pathetic speed and router

Since joined in January my Adsl broadband speed have been so pathetic. Sometime I get 11 mb on restart the router or some time it's only 1.2 mb.

I have to restart router 4 times every day sometime even can't browse the website.

I believe that may be router is useless or the service provider. I was much happy with the Sky.

Is there anything you advice, even spoken to customer service but all in vein.

Cheers
7 REPLIES 7
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Pathetic speed and router

Maybe the problem is that you keep restarting the router.

aafzal
Dabbler

That doesn't make sense as i said cant browse the website that is why i have to restart the router to get it working.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Actually it makes perfect sense, your line is controlled by a system called DLM, Dynamic Line Management, it looks at line conditions, and automatically adjusts speeds to the highest it thinks the line can cope with. So if it sees frequent disconnects it will try and slow things down.

Have a look on the help pages about how you can improve your speeds.

aafzal
Dabbler

It wasn't the case with sky.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Is this happening via a wired or wireless connection?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@aafzal wrote:

That doesn't make sense as i said cant browse the website that is why i have to restart the router to get it working.

Assuming you are on ADSL, my advice in these circumstances is, in the first instance, ensure your phone line is quiet before you reboot your router. Listen on the phone - use 17070 option 2 (Quiet Line Test) - and only reboot if after listening for some while you cannot hear any crackling or fizzing. If there is continuous or continuing intermittent noise then you may have a line fault, or faulty or unreliable/dirty plugs and sockets in your home. Sort this out before rebooting the router.

aafzal
Dabbler

WiFi 

@Chris wrote:

Is this happening via a wired or wireless connection?