cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Panic over... What a smooth fibre install!

dfunked
Grafter

Panic over... What a smooth fibre install!

So I went ahead and ordered fibre the other day, but after stopping to think about it, it could turn into a bit of a messy installation...
I'm living in a rented, relatively new build property (2006 I think) which has 4 phone sockets. The first problem here is that some genius decided to build a built-in wardrobe in such a way that it covers half of what I'm assuming is the master socket. (see first attachment)
Now I'm obviously going to have to disassemble part of the wardrobe before the OR engineer will be able to do anything here, which isn't something I'm exactly keen to do in a rented property!
Getting a new master socket fitted there isn't going to be possible without cutting another chunk out of the wardrobe, so I'm hoping they'll be able to change one of the other sockets into the new master.
Sockets 2 (second bedroom) and 3 (living room inside wall) are wired as per the second attachment. The 4th socket, which would be most useful as the new master socket, is just a termination point.
I'm guessing turning socket 4 into the master socket isn't going to happen, but what are the thoughts on the possibility of socket 3 being made the master socket? (socket 2 would be a PITA to be honest, as I'd have to use homeplugs which I'm not really keen on doing unless absolutely necessary...)
22 REPLIES 22
joncooper
Grafter

Re: Damnit!...

presumably the current set up goes line-1-2-3-4
I don't see why it couldn't be line-4-3-2-1
but I am not an engineer
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi dfunked,
What an awkward place your master socket is fitted  Undecided
I'm sure the engineer will be able to switch this around so your master socket is one of the other sockets.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Isn't it still true that they can move the master socket if required for free?  You night need Hobnobs as a bribe though.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

It might require an upgrade to chocolate digestive. Wink
That's RPM to you!!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

What an awkward place your master socket is fitted

That doesn't look like a genuine NTE5 to me ???. Are you sure there's not another one somewhere or maybe you have an external NTE ? http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

njay
Grafter

Can you actually get to the screw inside the wardrobe? If so it looks like they have left enough room (socket to cut edge of wardrobe) to angle that socket plate out so that as you slide to to the right the rear components will clear the right edge of the patress. At least you can then check to see if its a master.
If so (and assuming a little bit of wire slack is behind that) I would be tempted to get them to move the socket a few inches to the right.
They can switch the sockets around so one of the others is the master but it comes down to the quality of the wiring in the walls bewteen the sockets i.e. you really want fibre to be on the socket nearest to the drop cable as internal wiring can make a huge difference to Fibre speeds as I got 53mb sync on internal wiring.  That intenral wiring previously held a 4mbits connection on 61Db attenuated ADSL2+ which is pretty good going as that should have been about 3mbits so internal wiring was not causing any issues with respect to ADSL rates . Openreach Engineer fitted a new master and new internal wiring (not something I guess you can do given your rented accomodation?) which saw fibre leap to its current 77.44mb sync speed..
dannystokie
Grafter

He drilled through my bedroom outside and fitted a brand new Master Socket in my wall after a few cups of coffee and some persuasion.
dfunked
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
That doesn't look like a genuine NTE5 to me Huh

I was a bit surprised by it as well, but the only internal phone sockets in the flat are four of  these horrible looking shiny things... I don't have access to just go poking about in any of the cupboards outside the flat without a proper excuse, so can't say whether there's an external NTE in place. (turns out the building was built in 2003 though, so 5 years before they became commonplace according to your link)
Quote from: njay
Can you actually get to the screw inside the wardrobe?

Nope... Not without taking the wardrobe apart, which I'll probably do the evening before in preparation...
Openreach Engineer fitted a new master and new internal wiring (not something I guess you can do given your rented accomodation?) which saw fibre leap to its current 77.44mb sync speed..

Yeah, my landlord wasn't too fussed about one of these sockets being replaced with a new master socket, but that's pretty much all that he gave the go-ahead to do... I think I can just about live with ~50Mbps downloads if it comes to it though!  Cheesy
Thanks for all of the input anyway guys... I'll be sure to stock up on biscuits beforehand!
dfunked
Grafter

So it turns out there is actually a master socket it the flat - silly little me just didn't think to look in the totally obvious location of a boiler cupboard with no power outlets...
Moving the master socket will be totally unavoidable thankfully, so now I just have to hope that the OR guy is impressed enough with my biscuit collection to move it to the second nearest socket instead of the nearest. Smiley
njay
Grafter

Choccy digestives sounds like a plan but have some jammy dodgers on standby just in case LOL
As to moving master. Its a shame you don't have the option of changing cabling just in case as to move master to the 2nd nearest socket means the master is going to be installed after going through two lots of joints on internal extension wiring. This may affect your results if the builders didn't use twisted pair cabling Sad

dfunked
Grafter

Yeah... I opted for the 30m extension cable when ordering just in case, so may just resort to getting them to change the nearest socket to the master and then trail the cable around the room... Another plus is that this means I won't have to move my hefty entertainment unit too Smiley
njay
Grafter

The data extension is normally hard wired into the vDSL plate fitted onto the master rather than connecting into the modem port on the front of the VDSL plate (which can be used for test purposes or to relocate OR Modem nearer). Its really a fixed to the walls data only extension cable + socket..
Alternative is to find power socket near master and connect OR modem into front of vDSL plate, running an Cat5e cable to where you want as you won't get a better sync speed than that.

dfunked
Grafter

Re: Panic over... What a smooth fibre install!

Well the BTOR engineer turned up just after 9, declined my offer of a cuppa and just got to work on the cabinet. Then, without any fuss at all, fiddled around with the socket I'd wanted it installed on and plugged in the modem within the space of about 5 minutes while I changed the config on my router around... He connected the modem to the EWAN port on my router and off we go!!
Couldn't fault the installer or the order process in the slightest... Two thumbs up from me! Smiley
A great turnaround as well - 1 week from ordering to getting connected
njay
Grafter

Re: Panic over... What a smooth fibre install!

Glad to read you are happy.
So what did the engineer end up doing with the socket you wanted it installed on? Does it have the VSDL2 plate installed as that wouldnt fit any of you current sockets without him replacing them?