cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painfully slow broadband

Lewido75

Painfully slow broadband

Why since I joined in June has my broadband been so slow? I often get no connection yet when I joined it was suggested up to 4mb speed?? I've been putting up with it but I've lost patience now 

16 REPLIES 16
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Painfully slow broadband

Hi @Lewido75 Welcome to the community forums.

I've checked your connection and your sync speed is lower than I would expect it to be which could point towards a fault on the line. I'd recommend going through our troubleshooting guide if you haven't already and if you continue to experience problems after this, it would be best to raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net so we can investigate this further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Lewido75

I've been advised to change my channel but not how, I've changed my filter & that has had no impact - how do I actually contact someone to cancel my contract - I refuse to suffer & will move to a provider that can offer service
Lewido75

Done this and it should be far better than I'm getting
Lewido75

Using 3G on my iPhone to reply - I can't get anything on broadband
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just checked your account and can see we asked you to confirm some things on the fault.

Are you plugged in to the master socket? Is there any noticeable damage to the phone line? If you pick up a phone handset is there noise on the line?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Lewido75

Nothing much you end changed! Yes master & the line is fine... the simple fact is you have  no clue as to the issue &  are stalling.. just sort it out! I am looking to go to another provider so I won't be bothering you much longer... 

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

If you have a physical fault on the line changing provider will do nothing but delay a resolution from BT/OR.

Has this fault arisen after some period of operation or is this a new fault ?

Have you checked the phone quiet line test ?

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Lewido75

For the past 3-4 weeks it's been noticeable. I've changed my ASDL box, checked the line & it's normal. I've got increase "no internet, try again" plus constant buffering messages or on catch up on being told the connection is to low and cannot support both audio & visual... Last week I had and hour with my router flashing broadband and no connection at all... I'm fully aware that changing provider will not give the solution on the line - but as I've been fighting for 2 weeks with you now - no further on - leaving is my only option...
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hello Lewido, I am sorry for any confusion I am simply another customer trying to see if I can help you Smiley

From what I can gather your ADSL has become slower in the last few weeks, the most likely cause of this is some sort of line degradation yet you are plugged into the master socket and you cannot hear anything on the quiet line test.  The only way to find out what your modem is upset about is to ask it! Can you please get the statistics from the modem and post them here maybe someone can spot whats up ? Do you also use the BT wholesale speed test located here this can help you establish what your line performance is and allow you to compare it over time, keeping records helps to identify problems.  Also are you using wifi ? its perfectly possible you are suffering interference from a neighbor on the same channel etc try a wired (ethernet) connection to your router. You mentioned streaming services (audio/video) does this also happen with html web browsing ?

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi again,

The estimates for your line are:

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 3 -- 2.5 to 7.5 Available

--

--

Testing your line:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 47.4 63.5
SNR Margin: 10.0 6.0
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 3816 5936
Speed: 384 736

Your line is showing as quite a long line, but the estimates show you should be getting more than you currently are.

When we're testing the result is showing as a HR (High Resistance) fault which can commonly be caused by the internal setup, can you describe how your phone/router are plugged in and what kind of socket you have, whether it's filtered too?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Lewido75

My apologies & thank you so much for taking a little time to reply!! I can't do the line test as my laptop is works and I haven't brought it home.. I'll try & report back 

Lewido75

Sorry but this is painful and just delaying the problem... so I've got a router & phone plugged into an ASDl filter That is plugged into my master socket..

never experienced such problems or delays on the line before...

sorry but but the data you provide means nothing to me...