cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painfully slow broadband - Please help

tanishbel87

Painfully slow broadband - Please help

Hello everyone. I've been a Plusnet broadband customer for 15 years and I've encountered my first problem - any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. A couple of months ago my broadband download speed dropped to between 0.50mbps and 1.00mbps. This lasted for around 10 days until I decided to try plugging the router into the master socket. This fixed the problem and I was back to getting download speeds of around 4.00mbps which I think is normal for me. I left it plugged into the master socket for a few days and then removed it and plugged it back in as normal using a microfilter with the telephone plugged in too and all was fine for approx. 5 weeks. Now since tuesday, it's happened again. Download speed is registering as zero on the btspeedtest, and pages are taking over a minute to load (or not at all). The broadband is also going off completely intermittently and then coming back on after a minute or so. I plugged it into the master socket again but this hasn't helped this time. My router is a Thomson TG585 v8 which I've had from Plusnet since 2011. I swapped the ADSL cable thinking the old one may have perished and have tried a couple of different microfilters but this hasn't improved it. One thing I have just noticed is the phone line is noisy, but when I unplug the router from the microfilter, the noise disappears. Could this be a faulty router? Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks