Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painfully Slow Internet

caitblick
Grafter

Painfully Slow Internet

Hi,

I'm hoping someone here might be able to suggest something, or perhaps a member of the Plusnet Team can take a look at my connection as has been done before. For the last week or so my internet connection has become painfully slow.

It took nearly three minutes to load this page to write this topic and prior to that it just sat loading/couldn't load all the images. It was working fine before this and it's obviously not the computer since it's working fine on other connections. Once again I've reached the point where I'm switching my phone to mobile data to finish loading pages on it.

I've tried running through the FAQ for a speed check but I've tried three times to load the page and it just seems to hang.

Any suggestions (or direct links to the pages I'd need to use to check the speed)?

Thanks in advance.

Cait 🙂

10 REPLIES 10
deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Re: Painfully Slow Internet

Hi @caitblick

I have ran some checks on your line, and the SNR is currently set to 3dB. One a line your length, this can cause stability issues and poor speed. I have boosted this for you up to 6dB. If you can please restart your router for me, and monitor for the next 24 hours, this should hopefully fix the problem.

If you do have any further issues, please let us know.

caitblick
Grafter

Thanks for that.
I'm away from home at the moment but once I'm back, I'll get it restarted. 🙂
caitblick
Grafter

Hi,

I'm just coming up on the 24 hour mark from when I reset the router and I'm not really seeing much noticeable improvement. In fact, when I clicked onto this thread to post I got a 'No Internet' page, even though a connection is most definitely showing both on my laptop and on the router.

Is there anything else we can try to speed things up? I have an online tutorial coming up and I'm worried I'm not going to be able to take part if I've not got a reliable connection. 🙂

caitblick
Grafter

@deank

Further update, it's been well over the 24 hours now and I can't say that I've seen any improvement. At one point earlier on it was actually worse than before.

I'd appreciate it someone could take another look or suggest something else I could try.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @caitblick

Thanks for coming back to us.

I've tested the speed of your connection this morning and you're currently syncing up at around 4.3mb/s which is in excess of the estimate of your line.

Could you please let us know what speeds you're seeing from your side via a wired (not wifi) connection?

Best wishes,

Dave

caitblick
Grafter

Unfortunately none of the devices in the house have an ethernet connection so I'm not sure how we'll be able to test this.

It does seem to be intermittent. When I checked the connection speed the other day we got about 1.5 mb/s. I thought I'd found the source of the issue (a baby monitor) but it's not connected this morning and it's taken about five minutes to load this page.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you think that a baby monitor is implicated I assume that your problem is with speed over a wireless connection, is this correct? If so have you been through this https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

Again if this is a wireless performance issue then what speed do you get with a wired Ethernet connection between your router and a computer?

I use the wireless sniffer app, Wifi Analyser on an Android phone to look at neighbours wireless transmissions and use that data to manually select the 'quietest' channel. If you have a Plusnet Hub Zero router the wireless performance is dire. If this is the problem you can get a BT Smarthub 6 from Ebay for around £30. These can be easily set up on your Plusnet account using instructions you will find on the Router board. Their wireless performance is in a different league to the Hub Zero

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

caitblick
Grafter

I thought the baby monitor might have been causing the problem but I used it for several weeks before the problem developed and I've been using my laptop without the baby monitor plugged in this morning and it's painfully slow again. I've also used it with the baby monitor connected and had an okay connection.

Unfortunately I don't have any devices available to me at the moment which have Ethernet connections so it'll be a while before I can test this. We use mostly tablets and mobiles to connect wirelessly and my laptop doesn't have an Ethernet socket so we're all wireless.

I'll have a look at that app. We do have a new neighbour (though the router is on the furthest side from the joining wall and it's about 2 feet thick so she'd probably have to have something pretty powerful in there for it to affect our WiFi).

It's the 2704n router we're using, plugged directly into the main socket. We've had intermittent connection issues going back over the last 18 months or so, but only got them resolved earlier this year (due to me being very poorly). It was always due to line noise and our distance from the exchange. I'm beginning to wonder if it might just be one of those things we have to live with since using Ethernet isn't an option for us.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

The thing is that Plusnet are advising that you’re connected at 4.3 Mbps so you should be able to get better than 1.5Mbps. This suggests that you have a wireless problem. I would have a look at the strength of your WiFi transmission in different parts of your property with WiFi Analyser. The wireless performance of your router is poor by design . Do you get better speed if you are closer to the router? Also have you eliminated other devices that could interfere with your signal such as Bluetooth devices, cordless phones etc.?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @caitblick, I'd follow the steps that @baldrick advised and try changing the routers wireless channel to see if that makes any difference.

Let us know how you get on and if your able to run a wired speedtest in the meantime, just let us know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team