cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss!!

Speakersrock

Packet loss!!

Hi all,
Since October I have had intermittent packet loss on my line.
Basically, it goes in spells, for a week or so it can be really bad, with over 70% of packets being lost, and therefore decreasing the spread and reliability of the connection, and at this point, the connection often drops out too.
Other times (usually the problem can go away almost overnight) the problem can go away for hours, maybe even days on end. -I used to think it was the line outside, and related to bad weather!
I know it is not anything after the master socket, i have tested and tested and tested! - Not getting anywhere over th last what, 6 months with plusnet support, so i thought id throw the question open!
I have had 2 pings running to google.co.uk, both at the same time, but one started 12 hours before the other, where one was seeing packet loss, and the other was not. I have tried different DNS servers, and still get packet loss when just pining servers within plusnets network.
Finally, i have been shifted (apparently) to new tie pairs in the exchange, and has the signal to noise ration changed...  several times!!
After 6 months+ and 3 engineers (2 have been canceled because the line was apparently 'stable' at the time) we have still not got to the bottom om the problem! The first engineer said that if anyone comes again, "it will most probably be the line outside" Every other person since then has been a DSL engineer, and not a line engineer (or something.)
Any clues would be muchly appreciated!!
Thanks in advance, Matt.