Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss on the Plusnet network

webwisehost
Grafter

Re: Packet loss on the Plusnet network

Thank you sir Smiley
I'm not going to force a router reboot right now, since I'd like to monitor the packet loss (or more to the point, lack of packet loss) for at least 24hrs before risking changing anything Wink
Thanks again, and cheers,
-- Neil
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries Smiley
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

How's it looking today?
webwisehost
Grafter

Everything continues to look good.  I used VOIP for a good 4hrs last night, and it was perfectly ok too - for the 1st time in 2 weeks !!!
Overnight, as a test, I left a large download running to see how it coped, and again no problem.  The odd packet loss - but only very occassionally, and I'd expect to see that on a saturated line.
As you suspected, the interleave request went through yesterday afternoon although it was cancelled.  As I suspected, since the problem seemed to have fixed itself well before interleaving got switched back on, it made no difference to the packet loss problem - since there was no longer any to see Wink  It did, however, as is to be expected add 50% to my baseline ping and drop my downstream sync to 7,616,000.  I'd appreciate it if fastpath could be re-enable now.  What did surprise me was that the SNR margin increased by 2dB (I normally see 10-10.5dB and now it's at 12-12.5dB).  Obviously both levels are fine, but I'm curious as to why enabling interleaving could change the SNR margin?  Attenuation has also dropped from a normal 9.5-10dB to 9dB.
Thanks again for all your help Ben - I guess we'll never know for sure what was wrong, and why it cleared itself in the wee hours of Wednesday morning!!!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Your SNR will have increased because interleaving has caused your sync speed to reduce to 7616kbps. When interleaving is removed and sync speed increases to 8128kbps SNR should reduce again.
David
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Glad to hear that everything's working better! I've submitted an order to turn interleaving off which will complete tomorrow but, as always, may take an extra couple of days to complete.
BT (Wholesale) automatically adjust your DLM profile when interleaving is turned off or on, making assumptions that a higher target SNR margin is always desirable with interleaving on to reduce any erroring. It sounds like you've gone from a 9dB target to 12dB. If it doesn't settle down to 6/9dB (whichever is needed for an 8128kbps sync) then I can always reset it after the weekend if necessary - just give me the heads up.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You're now back on a 6dB/Fast profile and there's plenty of headroom as you're in sync @ 8128kbps with an 11dB SNR margin so it's only a matter of time until you're on a 7150kbps line profile. I hope the packet loss has remained negligible?
webwisehost
Grafter

It looks like fastpath kicked in around 6am this morning. 
Packet loss?  What packet loss Wink
Ping levels are low and stable, and the router is showing 8,128,000 DS again.
I'm convinced BT must have done something the other night - DS attenuation is staying @ 9dB, and it was always a couple of dB higher and SNR Margin is pretty steady @ 11dB whereas it was 10-10.5dB for as long as I remember.  It's ofc possible it's a coincidence, but it seems very strange that I had 2 weeks of problems that just disappeared overnight, and now my line stats are slightly different.
But ho, hum - it doesn't matter; all that matters is that I have a nice, stable line back.
Thanks for all your efforts Ben.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Looks like the port was flexed (=switched off and on again!) which solved the problems. I'll close your ticket off, feel free to drop me a pm if you have any further problems Smiley