cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet loss / latency spikes

AndyH
Grafter

Re: Packet loss / latency spikes

They need to rule out an issue your end - because if an engineer comes out and the problem is your internal wiring/equipment , you could be faced with an engineer visit charge.
Looking at your graph, there's a lot of packet loss which would impact everything. Which exchange are you on?
If you go here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed what's your current line speed?
jemercer

I'm seeing the same issue with periods of high latency and packet loss. This is awfully similar to the situation I saw early last year. Hopping around the gateways helps sometimes but generally my connection is not currently fit for purpose.

I've recently applied to upgrade to fibre but the though of being stuck with this for the next eighteen months is making me seriously consider cancelling the order.
Angry
AndyH
Grafter

Are you plugged into the master socket? Can you post your router stats?
jemercer

I'm not sure if Andy H's question was aimed at me or not but yes my router is connected directly to the master socket. I've switched to a netgear router to eliminate that as causing the issue. The stats from that are:
System Up Time 55:57:59
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 190949 246632 0 10173 121088 00:29:09
LAN 10M/100M 5999642 5106540 0 9612 3615 55:57:55
WLAN 11M/54M/145M 0 0 0 0 0 55:57:43
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4551 kbps 444 kbps
Line Attenuation 58.5 db 34.7 db
Noise Margin 1.8 db 19.8 db
More worryingly my estimated line speed is currently reporting this:
Estimated line speed:
    0.5Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-04-24 14:37:50
Current line speed:
    3.9 Mb
Which seems somewhat suspicious.
AndyH
Grafter

@ jemercer - Sorry, I meant for you. Looking at your stats, you need a SNR reset. If you call the help desk, they can hopefully sort that out for you (I don't think any PN staff on here will see this until Monday now). If you're on a 21CN exchange, you can get your upload uncapped also.
jemercer

Okay, thanks Andy. I'll give the helpdesk a call in the morning.  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Back to the OP...
@DCT, Is there any indication of congestion on Pedro's exchange?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jemercer

Oh well, after half an hour on hold I eventually got to speak to a very helpful chap called James who carried out a SNR reset on my line.
Unfortunately it's made no difference whatsoever  Sad

Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Thanks,
John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@John / @mods,
Can John's issue / posts be split off to a separate thread please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pedro
Grafter

Just a "graph" update since the connection dropped and the ip changed. Not line drop, just spurious ppp disconnect/connect.

@Townman
Could be congestion, but pretty sure the latency and or packet loss happens when we share the connection. I could be wrong, but sure looks that way.
My partner was using her machine since 8am ish this morning and the graph is fine, I switched on at 5pm and immediately the graph shows packet loss. I just loaded a few web pages.
I think it goes without saying that this is just not acceptable.
AndyH
Grafter

Which exchange are you on? Your graph looks like congestion.
Pedro
Grafter

Apr 27 22:01:34 PPP link down (Internet) [87.115.121.156]  Another random disconnect...
New graph...now on PTN-AG01

@AndyH
Exchange is bexleyheath, assuming you are talking to me. Nope, pretty sure it's not congestion.
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
The fact that you had packet loss on your first graph and the disconnect/reconnect caused it to go away, indicates there was a congested route (or a problem) between your BRAS and PN.
One thing to look at though is the random disconnects. I assume from your latency, you're on FTTC?
Pedro
Grafter

Hi Andy
I am on ADSL, this is discussed at the beginning of this thread.
The fact that you had packet loss on your first graph and the disconnect/reconnect caused it to go away, indicates there was a congested route (or a problem) between your BRAS and PN.

Conjecture.
What you are seeing as no packet loss, is just inactivity.
I can trigger the problems at any time of the day, on any gateway just by loading the connection with anything (streaming a video, loading web pages...) from another device while trying to game or use TeamSpeak from my PC. Trying being the operative word, because the connection becomes unusable for that purpose.
@plusnet
Could you please update? Thanks.