cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss

trymyluck
Dabbler

Packet Loss

My broadband technical knowledge is somewhat limited so I hope these questions are not too silly.
My broadband is provided via Pn ' Fibre to the Cabinet' and my laptop is wireless connected.
I occasionally run JDs Auto Speed Tester. It normally shows a download speed of around 33/34 Mb/s and an upload speed of 1.74 or thereabouts.  So far so good.
However, Ping is shown to be 8 or 9ms and Packet Loss measures around 52%.
The  small amount of information I have read seems to indicate that the Packet Loss is high. I do not notice any particular problems when I use BBC iPlayer or You Tube etc.
My questions are (a) Is 52% likely to be accurate and, if so, is it unacceptably high. (b) If the answers to (a) are yes and yes what can I do about it, if anything. (c) What are the signs of high Packet Loss.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Packet Loss

The reported packet loss doesn't sound accurate, assuming you're on PlusNet's standard 'up to 40Mb/s' FTTC which is consistent with your upload spped of 1.74, a packet loss of over 50% would be expected to give a download throughput of less than 20Mb/s.
Please try opening a command prompt and typing 'ping -n10 bbc.co.uk' and see what that gives for packet loss.
(I have never had a problem with JDAST, I think it's an excellent little program but I suspect it's misreporting in this case)
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
trymyluck
Dabbler

walker23
Thank you for your helpful reply.  I tried the command you suggested but  -n10 was out of range it said. However, I entered simply 'ping bbc.co.uk' and the result came back as:
ping statistics for 212.58.241.131
Packets  Sent = 4            Received =4  Lost = 0 (0%)
approx. round trip times
Minimum = 8ms    Maximum = 9ms      Average = 8ms
The round trip times are what I get on JDs A.S.Tester.
I guess therefore that the reported packet loss of 50+%  on JD is an aberration as you thought.
Thanks again
Community Veteran

Quote from: trymyluck
-n10 was out of range

You need a space, so command should be
ping -n 10 www.bbc.co.uk
prichardson
Grafter

A packet loss of 50% is actually likely to produce speed results of less than 20Mbps on a 40Mbps service, and I am not referring to direct speedtests, which may perform other things to calculate throughout (like JDs Auto Speedtest does, though system hooks).
50% of a 40Mbps TCP stream load, will require retransmissions. Some of a retransmissions will also be lost too given such a high volume. The overall throughput thus has significant impact.
This all said, I do not think you have anything to worry about and may find it better to submit a bug report on the test tool (I will point them in the direction of this thread over on the SY DigitalRegion forum).
I say this, as one very key thing you have not reported here is that you are seeing any other problems. With 50% packet loss in the real world, trust me, you would be complaining of a lot lot more than the result of that test Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Jaggies
You need a space, so command should be
ping -n 10 www.bbc.co.uk

Embarrassed Embarrassed
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.