cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss, 'connecting' and other odd issues

chuckstar_za

Packet Loss, 'connecting' and other odd issues

Since the end of September here at my office, I'm getting some very odd issues with my connection.

If I fire up my desktop from cold start, I can surf one page, then the browser (chrome/FF and Edge) hang on 'connecting' for a minute or two, then times out. If I hit refresh, it occasionally loads the page correctly.

This happens mostly on my desktop with LAN cable, but occasionally on my laptop aswell.

If I restart the desktop, the connection is solid all day. Until yesterday, my laptop was fine, but has now also started acting up. 

Running pings on bbc.co.uk when in this state I get a 100% packet loss, and the tracert falls over at the hop from 
ioe.10central10.ptn-bng01.plus.net and irb.10.ptw-cro2.plus.net

I've reset the router to default settings, have tried various browsers. Sometimes the desktop is fine, but the laptop is sketchy, and other times the other way round. Sometimes, both are in this odd limbo state. Almost like a port is being blocked for that device. 

Whilst all this is going on, my iphone connects 100% solid. 
All machines running Win 10, latest update and the drivers are updated on the LAN cards

Any ideas? 

3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Packet Loss, 'connecting' and other odd issues

That's odd, it does sound like a router problem.

Let us know what make and model you're using and our Community may be able to help you out with that.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chuckstar_za

It's a TG582n

Just had a client here with their own laptop which connected and used the network just fine, whilst my own laptop was hanging on 'connecting' again. 

They were using a mac, and these issues manifested themselves around the time of the last Win update. I wonder if there wasn't something in that update that's not playing nicely. 

chuckstar_za

Bump.

Now my iphone isn't opening any sites via Safari.
It'll download mail, run Facebook (but not Instagram), but any link requiring a browser hangs.
My desktop has been 100% fine all day, but only after a restart. From a cold boot it hangs on anything requiring a net connection.

Spoken with my neighbour whose also on Plusnet, and she says she's experiencing similar issues. 

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the issue. I'm loath to contact customer support just yet as I can't narrow down what the actual issue is, so don't really want to get into a turn off/on, reset, reboot, clear settings loop..