cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss & unable to get website on broser

ChrisLamb

Packet Loss & unable to get website on broser

Hi,
Since yesterday morning I've not been able to connect to the internet. I contacted support & done the following: The network shows that the computer is connected properly to the router & the router is connected to the internet. When I do a ping test it comes up with between 50%-75% packet loss I've tried 2 routers attached a laptop via Ethernet cable to the router & tried 2 different Ethernet cables, it all comes up the same. I've also tried turning both the firewall & virus scanner off & still stays the same.
One thing I've not asked is whether for whatever reason the password has changed to the wrong one would it come up with this?
If the router wasn't setup properly what would the result be? would there be a red X between the router & the internet in the network page?
This has stumped me, any other suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Packet Loss & unable to get website on broser

Hi Chris,
Welcome to the forums.
The issue you describe could be caused by a multitude of issues.  So lets start with a couple of likely candidates...
1. Is the phone line noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2.
2. Is the router connected to the master socket?  If not, does connecting it to the master socket make any difference?
3. How recently did this start - about the same time you switched on the Christmas lights?
Can you please try and gather and post the information asked for in the "speed issues" thread at the top of this forum?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ChrisLamb

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
1. I've not noticed it being noisy, but will try it out when I get home (at work, hence being able to access this!)
2. Yes it's connected to the master socket, it's a new upgraded one as well.
3. Started yesterday morning, was working fine the night before. 
If there was a problem logging into the Pusnet service would that come up as a different error?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Which Operating system and firewall do you use? I remember a couple of similar problems many years ago where by the problem persisted even when the firewall was switched off, but once uninstalled it worked fine.
I've checked your account, and that appears to be normal. Any further details you could supply would be appreciated. If you want to provide examples via the ticket, we'll get it looked into.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team