cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss/Poor Gaming.

brueton
Grafter

Re: Packet Loss/Poor Gaming.

Engineer is due to visit tomorrow morning to investigate packet loss which occurs between 6pm & 1am. Sad
Any advice?
wo0x
Grafter

Quote from: Kelly
Push it back to us. 

I replied to the ticket last Thursday, today I see this....
Script User - Automated Script Pool
1:56pm, Monday 3 Feb 2014
The broadband fault has been closed by the supplier. Should problems re-occur, please restart the Broadband Fault Checker.
Our Support Team will respond to your question soon. Please only add further comments when absolutely necessary.

@PeteB, in my experience the engineers only do whatever they were told to do before they arrive, they're not interested in anything you tell them.
Tim49

I am having the same problems on Fibre. Lots of packet loss causing issues with online gaming. BF4's in built network testing says my packet loss is very bad. Other games are complaining too. Not impressed.
wo0x
Grafter

Agreed, Tim, I'm not happy.
Could one of the DCT guys give the faults team a nudge for me please? A little confused by ''the broadband fault has been closed'' and ''one of our support team will respond to your question soon.'' Is it closed or am I supposed to be waiting for a reply?
I'm beginning to see why people post angrily in their threads. Since the 8th of January, I've been told my TBB graphs look awful, my packet loss is unacceptable, but also that my line is 'fine' and the issue is 'resolved.'

Cheers,
Wo0x.
dragon2611
Grafter

What gateway are you on
I was seeing some PL on PTW-AG01 over the weekend, although I would think that if there was a problem with one or more links out of that gateway it would have been fixed by now.
I've not seen any since reconnecting (I landed on a different gateway)
wo0x
Grafter

I always try to connect to PTN-AG01, Dragon2611, as it seems to offer the lowest latency, however, I've had packet loss since December regardless of gateway.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Wo0x definitely has something either wrong on his line, exchange, or equipment (I don't think it's the equipment) based on the packet loss on those graphs.  We don't see the same sort of loss across the base.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
wo0x
Grafter

I don't think it's my equipment either, Kelly, I've tried three different routers with all new cabling where the router is the only thing plugged in nearby, I have no extension wiring.  It made no difference. I've had two engineer visits and both times they've said the line is fine, so that just leaves the exchange?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

dragon2611 we've picked up a problem on PTW-AG01 which was causing packet loss starting over the weekend, that's being investigated (we thought it had been fixed yesterday but it came back).
Wo0x - I've just been talking to the BTR guys about your exchange, they've got at least one customer seeing similar to you.
From what we can see there were slowdowns on 20CN at the end of last year then as people were moved across to 21CN the 20CN capacity got freed up but looks like there's some sort of pinch point now on 21CN. Going to dig around to see if we can find anyone else affected and raise this as a common fault at that exchange.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
wo0x
Grafter

Thanks, Dave, I appreciate the update.
Gaming was poor on 20CN, I had hoped the switch would fix that, but if anything it's worse. I don't recall seeing packet loss on 20CN, even when the exchange was listed as Amber.
I guess the difficulty in finding others experiencing the same is that they'd need to be gamers. If all I did was stream and browse the web, I wouldn't have noticed an issue.
Cheers,
Wo0x.
wo0x
Grafter

Hi,
I've been waiting patiently for an update to this. Prior to today the last update I had was that a common fault was raised at the exchange and that your 'suppliers' were investigating. Today I have received a message saying that a lift and shift was performed today and that I should no longer have any issues. There wasn't a lift and shift performed today, this was done weeks ago when the engineer visited. Could someone please find out the latest on the supposed investigations into the 'common fault' at the exchange?
Thanks in advance,
Wo0x.

*Edit*
Disconnection at 01:06, first time in 9 days, the disconnections previously were power cuts, minimum latency has increased significantly.
wo0x
Grafter

Can one of the DCT guys make sure interleaving is off please? Since the 1am latency increase gaming has been unplayable.
Cheers,
Wo0x.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Wo0x,
Interleaving has automatically come back onto your line. I can remove Interleaving for you, that won't be a problem.
The problem is that your SNR which is targeted at 6db, for some reason, keeps dropping down to around 0.8db - 1db which might cause the connection to drop, and then for Interleaving to applied again.
There's no way for us to force your SNR to stay within specific range I'm afraid.
wo0x
Grafter

Please do remove interleaving, Chris. My connection never drops even with the SNR at 0 or in negative figures, any 'disconnections' were due to power cuts; my connection was up for 9 days with the SNR at 0 prior to interleaving coming on last night. Gaming has been totally unplayable since the latency increase.
Is there any news regarding the investigations into the common fault at the exchange?
Cheers,
Wo0x.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Sure, no problem.
I'll have a chat with Dave when he's back from leave.