cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package to match Talk Talk?

fwibbler

Package to match Talk Talk?

Hi,
I've been with Plusnet (Free-online) for some years now on the old Premier 1 package and been basically happy with the service.
This week however, we've been offered a combined Broadband and Phone service from Talk Talk which seems almost too good to be true.
Basically for £17.24 per month they offer 8Mb broadband with a 40GB download limit and free evening and weekend phone calls and also free local phone calls.
I can find no mention of the speed throttling at different times of the day that Plusnet employs with my current Premier or current Unlimited packages.
The closest package I can find with Plusnet is the Broadband Unlimited + Talk evening and weekend which costs a lot more (£26.94 per month) and doesn't have the free local calls.
I can find no mention of how many email boxes Talk Talk allow (if any) or how much webspace they give (again, if any), so this may be catch in the Talk Talk service.
Does anyone know if Plusnet offer a better service than the one I've found or if Talk Talk has other catches or drawbacks?
Although I pay for the internet connection for this house, I don't pay for the Phone and I'd rather not get pushed into changing provider (with all the hassle that brings) if Plusnet can provide an equivalent combined service .
Anyone have any thoughts?
Many thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Package to match Talk Talk?

Talktalk are in the process of "absorbing" Tiscali........ Lips_are_sealed
Steve
Seasoned Pro

My opinoin is that you best stick with your current provider as i was with tiscali and talk talk bought them and talk talk is rubbish and ive heard lots of bad things from lots of people about talk talk,,please dont go with talk talk,you will regret it. Wink
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
acr
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I did a little research into Talk Talk broadband  earlier this year following the service becoming available at my local exchange.
Positives:
- Price.
- By paying for the 'Boosts" I could achieve higher upload and download speeds than with Plusnet.
- 40GB cap is very good.
- They run a forum similar to this one for resolving problems.
Negatives:
- Contract is for 18 months with no service guarantee (for the same reason I would not move to Plusnet Value/Unlimited)
- Comparison between Plusnet and Talk Talk on thinkbroadband.com showed that Plusnet were ahead every month on speed, reliability & service.
- I have heard that support was very poor (unless using the forum)
- PTP is heavily throttled at all times of day. Other protocols are also though to be throttled however Talk Talk do not publish the details like Plusnet.
I decided to stay with Plusnet as price was not my overriding priority and I already knew what Plusnet were like. But for others, I suspect that this may not be the case.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

An elderly client of mine was lured by the TalkTalk Broadband and Phone Package.  The broadband worked fine but a few days after the switch the phone stopped working completely.  Many hours of talking to TalkTalk  Customer Support proved ineffective in getting the problem fixed so she was forced to go back to BT to get her telephone working.  This happened around the beginning of the year.  TalkTalk acquired a reputation for terrible customer service when they launched but on the basis of this experience they haven't got better. 
janitor
Grafter

Been with TalkTalk 20 months and have just switched back to BT for one line, not because anything TT did , they just didn't offer line rental only so switched back,(boy what a mistake that was, and it wasn't TT fault), have had horror stories with most ISPs and TT was no worse than any of the others, only had one outage in 20 months that was sorted in hours, voice line went down BB stayed up, on the forum reported it phone was back same evening.
fwibbler

Thanks for the replies people.
I shall have to give this one some serious thought  Crazy
Cheers!