Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PUGIT Top 5

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

PUGIT Top 5

The PlusNet UserGroup (PUG) in conjunction with the PlusNet Web Development team is pleased to launch a new function of PUGIT  - the PUG Issue Tracker.
Back in February in this blog, Pete Jackson proposed to make some resource available to tackle items in the PUGIT database. True to his word this happened, so since February PUG has been testing ways of turning this into a workable opportunity.  Disbelief?  Well take a look at the new PUGIT Top 5 forum and the Track Record of items submitted during the trial period.
PUG and PlusNet believe that this should be a User driven feature so with this development Users will now have the facility to prioritise a number of items per month for the Development team to tackle.  Nominally the number of items is 5, but this may vary from month to month depending upon complexity of the items selected. This feature is now available via a new PUGIT Top 5 board in the PUG forums.
If you are not sure what PUGIT is, or how to use it, all is made clear in Notes and FAQs once you visit the forum.  To Vote, you will need to register on the PUG site using a valid PlusNet IP address.
NOTE:  The amount of resource being made available is not that large, so there are restrictions on the size and type of Problem that can be submitted via this route, so use it wisely to get maximum benefit.
Give it a try.  There is still scope for change, so feed back your comments / suggestions in the topic provided for that purpose.
MauriceB  (PUG)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

15 REPLIES 15
Not applicable

Re: PUGIT Top 5

As Maurice says, the more feedback and thoughts we get from people, the better we can target our efforts to assist PN in improving the service they offer.
We do appreciate any time that anybody can lend us to add their thoughts/ideas.
mapletree
Grafter

Can PN do more to publicize the PUG?  Judging from the small number of votes that even the top issues get I very much doubt if most PN customers even know of it's existence.
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Quote from: mapletree
Can PN do more to publicize the PUG?  Judging from the small number of votes that even the top issues get I very much doubt if most PN customers even know of it's existence.

Well the "Top 5" is a collaboration between PUG and PlusNet - so this announcement is partly achieving that goal. Cheesy
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itsme
Grafter

Quote from: mapletree

No, it's because you have to log in and some of us object to becoming a member of a 3rd party forum to vote on issues related to our own ISP.
MrToast
Grafter

I have to say... doesn't this dilute discussion? Why have two forum systems?
Are we to understand that issues discussed here less important to PN? What do PN say?
nadger
Rising Star

I don't think it's a question of importance as a great many PUGIT issues originate from the Community site.
Threads here drop way, as happens on all forums, so tracking becomes more difficult until the thread effectively dies.
PUGIT issues are numbered and can be picked up by relevant staff members. There's also the ability for PlusNet users to vote and comment on matters of particular concern to themselves.
Mark
Grafter

Are we to understand that issues discussed here less important to PN? What do PN say?

Absolutley not and I hope that asking the Community to use PUGiT in no way suggests that.
The Community site and the portal forums before it, has been one of our greatest feedback mechanisms and I dont ever see the day when that will change.
PUG have their own site because it has always been necessary for them to show that they are independant of PlusNet. But that in no way means that PUG are not involved in the community. PUGiT is driven mainly by issues raised on the community forums and again I dont see that changing.
PUG have pushed us hard to ensure that we are working on and driving the issues raised in PUGiT and the recent posts highlighting PUGiT's existence are merely an attempt at raising its profile and thus ensuring that the correct priority is given to the various issues raised.
Should PUGiT be moved to the Community site? I think thats one for the community and PUG to work on between them. This is the communities tool and its your call as to how it operates I guess. The PUG guys and girls devote a tremendous amount of time and energy to ensure that PUGiT is a success and indeed that the group is successful in acheiving their aims and objectives.
We thrive on feedback, both good and bad and PUGiT is simply one mechanism of ensuring that the issues, wishes and concerns of our customers are highlighted, documented, prioritised and resolved. It gives visibility and accountability and ensures that we deliver those issues which the community raise, where possible or practical. Unlike a forum thread, which can slip into oblivion over time, PUGiT provides a totally accountable solution, which in conjunction with the community, offers a unique opportunity to influence change in our business.

PUG have had a section in the Newsletter in the past. They have undergone a bit of a reorg and restructure recently and I would expect that now that is complete they could once again submit articles / news for the Newsletter. We are more than happy to ensure that PUG is known to as wide an audience as possible.

Nick_Russell
Grafter

Quote from: MrToast
I have to say... doesn't this dilute discussion? Why have two forum systems?

I agree with this.
How about PUG having a forum on this board that only their members can add topics but all can post replies?
Not applicable

There are certainly advantages to be had in having more PUG discussion here, but there are also some disadvantages too.
Its something we discuss fairly regularly, and we are keen to make PUG as accessible as possible to interested parties.
I think the suggestion you make is an interesting angle, and one I'd not heard suggested before - who knows, we may find it a useful idea to trial.
MrToast
Grafter

OK maybe I'm missing something here...........
We are all PN customers. Thats not quite the same thing as a user, but lets assume that its close enough for the purpose of this thread.
So why have discussion elswhere?
I can quite see that there are different types of discussion particulary if a long term issue or a development is being tracked... but doesn't that simply call for a discussion forum with a different character, possibly rules and management. It doesn't mean it can't be on the Community site.
In fact there used to be a Suggestions forum on the old site where Ideas were awarded reference numbers if they were accepted. Perhaps we need a development of that?
At the end of the day I buy my service from PN. I don't see why they can't host/conduct the discussion if this kind of customer communication is of value. Why add another layer, particularly when it may miss some otherwise worthwhile contribution.
I think PN allow pretty free discussion here.
MauriceC
Resting Legend

I'd agree.  Discussion is encouraged and pretty open on both Community and the PUG forums.   One point being missed here is that PUGIT is a PUG development targeted to capture those ideas raised Here, On PUG Forums and also extracted from posts in Usenet.  Let's not forget that band of users / customers who still prefer to make use of usenet rather than web based forums? 
Many of the tools developed by PUG over the years have now become staple components of PlusNet CSC responses;  exchange checker; URL shrinker; Service Status emails and RSS feed; Tutorials - of course there were others that didn't quite make it? 
There is no direct conflict between Community and PUG, far from it.  Many Community Mods are also members of PUG and help us keep both sets of forums well informed.
Go on, bite the bullet, go over to the PUG site and vote for the items in the list that you consider the most important for PlusNet to put into development.  The list is actively monitored by PlusNet and since its inception as a trial has closed a number of worthwhile 'issues'.   It's early days yet to make a judgment call on how effective this mechanism is and where its long term home should be - try it and see if it works?
Maurice
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed. link:rules mod:end

itsme
Grafter

How many other reasons are PUG going to come up with to justify their existence? When this has been discussed in the past the agruement put forward for PUG was that it represented all Plusnet, Force9 and Metronet. This is when each had their own forums. Now that we have one single community forum I can't see why a board here can do the same thing.
I still don't know what the top 5 PUGIT's are as I have to join PUG and as I have stated on this forum and the old PN forums I don't see why I have to joined a 3rd party forum to see what is going on with my ISP.
dhookham
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
I don't see why I have to joined a 3rd party forum to see what is going on with my ISP.

You don't *HAVE* to do anything - it's completely optional, no compulsion involved.
I do wonder why you are being quite so adversarial though... "3rd party" implies something that simply isn't true. We're users just the same as you, with a site hosted on PN equipment. No 3rd parties involved to my knowledge.
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
Not applicable

I see the PUG as the knowledgable 'middle men' and as such is both necessary and useful.  The members are always quick to pick up issues from this forum, pull it all together, and present them to PN for consideration.  One example springs to mind - the change for Anytime Homephone users from 1000 minutes to unlimited usage.
The crucial thing about PUG is that they have much more information and understanding of the company and this is to our advantage.
Thank you for all your work on our behalf.