Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE rather than PPPoA

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

PPPoE rather than PPPoA

can PPPoE be used with ADSL connection?
i'm currently trying to set up some stuff on my billion router and billion support suggest changing the ATM connection from PPPoA to PPPoE.

with the settings ( VPI/VCI = 0/38, Encapsulation Mode = LLC/SNAP)

will this work? as i always thought it had to be PPPoA.

4 REPLIES 4
BDevine
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Re: PPPoE rather than PPPoA

Hello there,

Strictly speaking exchanges would allow a connection through ADSL via PPPoE if the router is compatible however this would limit the amount of connections you could have through the router to 1. If the router is ADSL enabled then we would always advise it set up via PPPoA through ADSL and I presume the billion support team may have been guiding you through setting up the connection as though it's fibre.

I'd suggest checking the manual or finding a online manual for your router and just checking if it's ADSL compatible which the fast majority of routers are and check what the manual suggests about setting up a ADSL connection.

Let me know how you get on.

Ben.

chenks76
All Star

no, they know it's ADSL and have specifically said that PPPoE can be used on ADSL (as well as PPPoA).
the router is a billion 8800NL and supports both ADSL and FTTC connections.

it is currently set up for PPPoA to connect to ADSL, but there is a feature i am wanting to use, and that requires it use a PPPoE connection.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I have used a PPPoE connection on a PlusNet ADSLMax connection for 10 years or more until I was able to upgrade to FTTC so I don't think you will have any problems, why don't you just try it, it will either work or not. I have no idea what @BDevine is going on about limiting you to 1 connection, it's a load of nonsense!

chenks76
All Star

now using PPPoE, working fine.

Capture.PNG