cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE changes?

psykix
Grafter

PPPoE changes?

I've always been using a Cisco ASA 5505 connected to a Netgear DG834N in modem only mode and it worked fine.
However, on Thursday, the Cisco refused to get an IP address on the outside interface. I tried everything with it, including wiping the config and starting afresh. No avail.
If I switch the DG834N back to router/modem mode then the internet works fine. Only problem is, that port forwarding on the DG834N is RUBBISH - it stops working after a period of time and is a well known fault.
So, suspecting that the Cisco may be faulty, I went and bought a Netgear FVS318 firewall and tried that. Again, no PPPoE working...
Has something changed on Thursday that would stop this arrangement from working?
I have a little Watchguard Firebox knocking around somewhere, so will try that later, but I really could do with some help to figure out what has changed.
60 REPLIES 60
psykix
Grafter

Re: PPPoE changes?

Any chance of a response to this Plusnet support?
I rang support and was told - "you are using an unsupported configuration, sorry can't help you" - apparently Plusnet only support 1 type of router.
Methinks I need to get work (they supply and pay for the phone line and the ADSL) to look at moving the ADSL line to someone who can support what I need...
Mark
Grafter

From what you've said the IP is picked up correctly when the Netgear box is attached on it's own. That being the case I'm not sure how we can fix something which from what you've said is lan side.
Our support teams will support your adsl connection but your network config is outside of our standard remit. Have you tried another modem or router on it's own?  What product are you on, residential or business? The reason I ask is that for that config its more like something our business team could help with but unlikely that many of our consumer support teams would deal with.
Mark
Grafter

Checking a bit further this morning radius indicates:
Event Time             Message 	               IP Assigned 	Service 	 Session Started 	Session Ended 	Session Duration
8:40 11/Dec/2009  unknown (Interim update) 212.159.XX.XX Not set 16:39 06/Dec/2009 N/A           4 Days, 16:1:32 (on going)

So it would seem you've been connected on this account for over 4 days with the correct static IP assigned.
I have also noticed that you have a fault report raised which has identified a current line rate of 1250 as opposed to a MSR of 11360. That ticket is back with you requesting further information. Carry out the checks requested in that ticket and if the problem persists we'll get it in to our suppliers for further tests. I wonder if there's a bit of dodgy kit in the mix here which is the root of the overall issues?
psykix
Grafter

Thanks for the response Mark..
Let me try to clarify...
The original setup :-
Netgear DG834N running DGTeam firmware and in Modem only (bridged) mode connected to a Cisco ASA 5505, using CHAP authentication (PPPoE) to pass through the credentials.
This suddenly stopped working on Thursday 3rd December whilst I was at work - the wife rang to say the internet had gone off!
I suspected the Cisco, so I changed it for a brand new Netgear FVS318 - same problem (never gets assigned an IP address on the outside interface)
I have a Watchguard SOHO 6, which always worked, so I tried that too - same problem.
Suspecting the Netgear, I got another Netgear from under the stairs, and tried that - same issue!
At the moment it is working because I am running the Netgear in Modem/Router mode and that works fine.
The ticket I opened was because of speed issues - it was unrelated to this issue. The speed issues seem to be resolved at the moment, so that call can be closed off.
I'll try to play around some more tonight or over the weekend, but something has altered - it is as though the PPPoE authentication no longer works, when it did up until 3rd December!
So to summarise, I have 3 x firewalls and 2 x modems which I have tried in varying combinations!
I asked the guy on the phone if he could see any failed authentications but he didn't seem to want to go down that route to be honest!
Cheers again!
Mark
Grafter

I've just sent you the radius logs for the last 30 days. No auth issues in there but you can see the history.
Mark
zubel
Community Veteran

I suspect the initial support request saw the mention of PPPoE and bounced it back as AIUI it's "technically" not supported by BT.
However, that being said I don't see any reason why your setup would stop working - I wonder if it's worthwhile digging through the BT maintenance records to see if your exchange went through maintenance during that time?
B.
psykix
Grafter

I'm going to have a play around again tonight and see how I get on - I'll unplug the phone that is on the line also so that I can eliminate that!
It's just odd that when in modem/router mode the PPPoA auth works fine - switch to modem only and use PPPoE from the Cisco/NetgearFVS318/Watchguard and the credentials don't seem to get passed through.
And yes, I have checked and rechecked the username and password!!
Will see how I get on tonight - I really want to get either the Cisco or the Netgear Prosafe working cos they are much better firewalls than the DG834N and the ilk...
Thanks for the replies!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you tried modem/router mode using PPPoE?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
psykix
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Have you tried modem/router mode using PPPoE?

I haven't to be honest.... I always understood that when in modem/router mode then PPPoA should be used, and when using a modem and separate firewall then PPPoE, so I never gave that a thought...
I could try it - should it work?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

There's a few people who have had issues on 21CN where it just hangs who have found that using PPPoE solves their problem. Bridged or using PPPoE on the router the PPPoE should look the same from the exchange side - if it won't work from the router you are on a hiding to nothing in bridged mode.
BTW: I presume you already have everything configured with an MTU of 1492 or less which is the PPPoE maximum
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Same goes for 20CN. I've had to resort to PPPoE to ensure that the router tries a resync if the PPP drops. On PPPoA it just sits there minus the final leg. I've recently discovered that it might be associated with Huawei MSANs that BT have been upgrading the system with.
psykix
Grafter

Quote from: jelv

BTW: I presume you already have everything configured with an MTU of 1492 or less which is the PPPoE maximum

I'm not on 21CN yet, although I'm queued to be moved over I believe...
From memory I think that my MTU is 1500 - but it's always been that.. I can have a go at changing that though and see how I get on!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: psykix
I'm not on 21CN yet, although I'm queued to be moved over I believe...

Are you sure that hasn't happened yet? That could be what broke it!
psykix
Grafter

Well when I rang Plusnet support, I did ask that because it was my first thought, and they said I hadn't been moved yet.