cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE & Multiple IPs

mrmann

PPPoE & Multiple IPs

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone can help me out on a problem I'm encountering.
I have been having very bad speed issues with my ADSL connection and was recommended a router running the DGTeam firmware. I tried it out and by adjusting the snr etc I managed to double my speed (still only 2.3meg!). However the problem I have is that the DGTeam firmware only allows you to specify the IP address if you use static addresses. I have multiple IPs so need to set a /29 as my subnet. I tried setting the router into 'modem' mode and then using another router (running dd-wrt) to make a PPPoE connection via the modem. However that will only allow me to use DHCP.
Which ever way I use DHCP I get the first usable IP from my range allocated but a /32 subnet mask and a different gateway address to what I'd use if setting them manually (i.e. the first IP in the subnet range). Has anyone used such a router in this setup or used PPPoE in this way? I've tried forcing the subnet mask and other settings but that hasn't worked. I'd rather not have to spend on another router if I lose out on the speed advantages I get with my current router.
Thanks
1 REPLY 1
mrmann

Re: PPPoE & Multiple IPs

Hi,
I realise that my situation may have been a bit different, so I could try a different question. What routers are people using with multiple static IPs? Are there any particular routers that allow you to get the best out of bad connections? (i.e. adjust the snr etc).
Thanks