cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE / PPPoA?

breakat
Grafter

PPPoE / PPPoA?

Hi there, i'm wondering what my service is as i'm looking to buy a modem to go with my router (specificially this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-8616-Ethernet-ADSL2-Bridge/dp/B002CAVRUI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1... ), and the reviews say it only works with PPPoE whereas UK isp's are PPPoA, so i'm wondering what my connection is with plusnet? My account info says PPP so maybe it's either or i'm thinking?
Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: PPPoE / PPPoA?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The ethernet ADSL2+ modem to get is the Vigor 120
It is PPPoE from your router WAN port, and PPPoA over your ADSL2+ connection.
Make sure you buy a UK version, as it is optimized for BT lines, and needs no further configuration to work on Plusnet.
breakat
Grafter

Thanks for replies. I'm really not savvy with all this stuff so i just bought the vigor without thinking twice ha 🙂 Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was quick !  Smiley
Here are some helpful instructions for Using the Vigor 120
Let us know how it goes !  Cool
breakat
Grafter

Yeah it's all good, i've got it set up and working. Would likely have had it done days ago but i've busy so put it off... wasn't actually plug and play for me as i've had to delete all of my remembered networks. Or maybe i didn't have to delete them but it wouldn't allow me to connect so i tried various and that was one of them and it worked. Anyway, i'm happy, it's working and it's what i want. Cheers 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool
bobboulby
Grafter

I hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread to ask a question.
I am going to split out my modem and router and was thinking of getting a TP-Link TD-8816 rather than the Vigor 120 to pair with an Asus RT-N66U. There is a big difference in cost and the TP-Link gets good reviews on Amazon but I'm now concerned that it won't work. Any comments please?
Thanks - Bob
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Have you already got a TG582n Bob ? you could always use that in Bridge mode as a modem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobboulby
Grafter

My current router is a Netgear DG834G but I'm looking for something discrete as I need to plug it in to our master socket which is in our bedroom.
Bob.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Bob
The TD-8816 will run quite happily in bridge mode, just go to "interface setup" and select it. I don't use that mode, as you lose direct access (no IP address to link into) and modem stats, so I just cascade my WR1043ND instead.
Don't forget to set it up for PPPoA/PPPoE mode first and save the configuration, then set up the bridge mode - that way, a factory reset and configuration load will get you in a usable state quickly, if you have a (line) problem Wink You should be able to can set the RT-N66U WAN for "dynamic IP" as well for trouble-shooting, so you don't lose facilities (remember to save the configurations for "dynamic IP" and "PPPoA/PPPoE" to give you quick mode changes).
HTH
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Another possibility: http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DSL-320B-ADSL2-Ethernet-Modem/dp/B0015RRIKM
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'bobboulby' -
Quote from: bobboulby
My current router is a Netgear DG834G but I'm looking for something discrete as I need to plug it in to our master socket which is in our bedroom

As the DG834 series generally had excellent modems, and the box is relatively small, could you use that in your bedroom either as a modem in bridge mode feeding a distant router, or keep the DG834 as a router but simply feeding a distant ethernet switch - which would be the simplest solution.
If you only have a few ethernet things to connect, I can recommend one of these Netgear GS205 for <£15 which works very well.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Yes, I didn't realise the DG834 had a bridge mode but apparently it does
It is possible to change the DG834 to bridge mode through a hidden page.
This is not accessible through the normal admin pages.
   Go to http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm
   Select DG834(MODEM) from the drop down box labelled Device Type
       Other option is DG834(ROUTER) to switch back to routing
   Click on Apply

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't realise that 'bridge mode' was hidden !  Shocked
On my DGTeam firmware, it is one of the normal configuration screens !  Cool