cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP0A TO PPP0E

keenfamily
Dabbler

PPP0A TO PPP0E

I have got the thomson 585 v8 router that was supplied by plusnet and uses the PPP0A connection for ADSL2 BB.
I have a problem with this, I need to be able to connect my HD Play-on streamer and my LG blu-ray player via ethernet cable to my network to be able to update or play movies etc from my PC via these two items. ( please don't say use the wireless as I would have to buy a couple of adapters when my house already has the ethernet cables in place from my old set up )
with PPP0E I had no problem in doing this but now with my thomson router I can't get my pc to see either of the items on the network and neither will they connect to the network as the router does not see then.
is there a workaround to get my router to use PPP0E or any other way I can sort this out? it would be a shame to leave Plusnet due to this problem, but unless it can be sorted I may be forced to go elsewhere.
Cheers for your replies in advance
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: PPP0A TO PPP0E

That isn't the problem - PPPoA only affects the connection between the router and the internet not the network
I have a nasty feeling (hopefully I am wrong) that the Plusnet router doesn't support this directly.
Previously which router were you using and was it a cable router as opposed to an ADSL router
keenfamily
Dabbler

my previous router was still an ASDL router a netgear 834g and I had no problems running everything on that either wired or wireless, it is only with this thomson that I have had the problem, anything I try to connect to the router via ethernet cable  ( apart from my PC ) can see the network but can't connect to anything inc internet.
I have a smart tv as well that I cant connect to the internet with via the router Sad
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

IIRC the DG834G has a default subnet of 192.168.0.0 whereas the TG585 uses 192.168.1.0
Is there any chance that you've set static IP addresses on the HD & Blu ray player ? If that's the case then change the static IP's from 192.168.0.n to 192.168.1.n

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

keenfamily
Dabbler

no matter what I set the IP's to it still wont see anything on the router apart from my PC.
the ip's are set to 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.1.15 with my PC being 192.168.1.2 and the gateway being 192.168.1.254
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Try setting the Bluray & HD player to obtain an IP address automatically using DHCP ( which is probably how your PC is setup ).
You should then be able to use the router web interface ( from the PC ) to see what addresses have been allocated.
The TG585 has the ability to allocate fixed IP's to devices, if necessary, but I can't recall at the moment how it is done.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Another thought... unlikely but...
Any  firewall on your PC may be set to 'trust' the old local network 192.168.0.0 rather than the new one 192.168.1.0. It really ought to sort itself out but I've them not.

keenfamily
Dabbler

gone back to my old netgear.
all working as it should now so don't know if it is something to do with the firmware with the thomson maybe, seems a shame to not be able to use my new thomson router that I got with plusnet but perhaps someone can look into the problem and make an update to the firmware to be able to enable PPP0E over PPP0A ( even if it loses a few kb/s in speed )
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but perhaps someone can look into the problem and make an update to the firmware to be able to enable PPP0E over PPP0A

As Jim said earlier, that's not the problem. It won't affect communication over the local network, only connection from the router to the internet.
Even then the HD & Bluray players won't be aware whether the connection is pppoe or pppoa.

keenfamily
Dabbler

I could finally get to see the home network but not the internet over PPP0A, now on PPP0E I have also got the internet etc.
maybe its just me not being a total tech-head lol, but I am happy now I have finally got it sorted out bu skill or luck or a bit of both Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I've no idea why it's working either, I would have said exactly the same as Jim and MisterW. There another knowledgeable modem/router guy who is not one line at the moment, he may spot this later and post some ideas.