Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPP: Sending PADI

FIXED
EXODUS
Hooked

PPP: Sending PADI

Hi, We have been suffering drop outs on a PlusNet Router One for several weeks. The Event Log was reporting Disconnects every 20- 30 seconds for days. Wifi was unstable so called it in and have been sent a replacement Hub Two.

Wifi has certainly stabalised and we're not getting Disconects on the Event Log but it's now showing "PPP: Sending PADI" every 5 seconds.

Now got 130 pages of Event Logs showing the same thing. Connection time is now 3 days +. Speeds are good so no complaints but should I be worried about the PPP: Sending PADI and is there something I can do to fix it?

Any help appreciated

8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Re: PPP: Sending PADI

Fix

@EXODUS Very strange!

PADI  is only sent when the router is trying to establish the connection, yet you say the connection has been up for 3 days!

I'm assuming you are on FTTC and have the dsl port connected to your master socket. Do you also have anything connected to the red WAN socket ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EXODUS
Hooked

Thanks - I'd done some research and found nothing of much use so knowing it's unusual helps

Connnection is VDSL if that answers the FTTC question?

Screenshot of the connection enclosed for info.

The Red WAN socket is connected to a device (TV for some reason) We had an alarm installed and the installation engineer seems to have moed the connections around to get what the alarm needed and I hadn't noticed.

Having removed the lead from the WAN socket the log is no longer reporting "PPP: Sending PADI"

So thank you, seems to have stopped the error if it can be called that.

Just need to buy a LAN adaptor so I've got enough sockets for all the devices

Cheers

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Connnection is VDSL if that answers the FTTC question?

yup, that's fttc

Interesting that it's sending padi on the wan port when the dsl is connected. I'm aware that it is capable of using the wan port for the ppp connection e.g for fttp. 

I would have thought that if it sees the wan port connected and is trying to set up the ppp , it would have dropped the dsl connection, obviously not!

Anyway at least we know what was causing it...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EXODUS
Hooked

Again, thanks for the answes. I was getting concerned that the new router had'nt fixed the issue and it would mean a callout.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@EXODUS  If you need more LAN sockets for your devices you need to get an ethernet switch. Not sure what you mean by a LAN adaptor, possibly some kind of splitter but it won't work. Every device needs its own ethernet socket. Have look at the link below.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page/13E5AAF7-534C-4C98-A7BA-5719F46F49C0?ingress=2&visitId=f3566932... 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@MisterW wrote:

PADI  is only sent when the router is trying to establish the connection, yet you say the connection has been up for 3 days!

Do we have a reference for that please?  My Hub Two does this all of the time and currently has been connected for 14 days and 20 hours.

This has been on my "I wonder why" list for a while, but not made it to the top to query!

EDIT: Oooo Errr!  Found a cable plugged into the WAN port (whilst port 1 was empty) ... need to go review the network! 🙄 Embarrassed

EDIY": Oh how doubling embarrassing - now I know why my NAS has been off air (but I have not had time to investigate).  Someone must have been fiddling (not me!).

Cheers @MisterW and @EXODUS 

EXODUS
Hooked

Thanks, my error, wrong terminology.

Got one on the way.

Thanks
EXODUS
Hooked

Glad you got it fixed, had me stumped and never thought that someone had been changing wires around