cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN throttling BB speed at peak times

Merlin
Grafter

PN throttling BB speed at peak times

Has anyone been affected by PN throttling their BB speed as reported in the Register on 7 August
see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/07/bt_samknows_bandwidth_throttling/
Apparently BT is throttling the speed of all users for no port 80 traffic during peak periods and BT's adopted child ie PN is reported to do the same.
1 REPLY 1
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: PN throttling BB speed at peak times

Sigh.
Firstly, see here
Secondly, there is a subtle difference between "Throttling" and "Traffic managing" connections.
There are many nuances to Traffic Management, and it is likely that the traffic from the Samknows monitoring units is being placed in an unidentified queue (and therefore Bronze priority) rather than being an identified protocol which would be prioritised across the network.
Mark outlines the Plusnet traffic management policy quite succinctly in the linked thread, but I do think it bears mentioning that Plusnet manage their traffic so that *time dependant* traffic is given a much higher priority across the network than traffic such as P2P.  Thus, I'm not surprised at the outcome of the Samknows monitoring trial, as it tries to give an overall picture of all traffic types.
The information given by the monitoring units is actually very comprehensive and I've actually used it personally to diagnose potential problems within my own connection (I actually run one of the monitoring units myself).  However, there is still a lot of development work being done on them to increase the accuracy of the data recorded.
B.