cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN supplied wireless routers for fibre?

peterfleet
Grafter

PN supplied wireless routers for fibre?

When I changed from PN ADSL to PN Value Fibre in May 2011 a Netgear WNR1000-FTTC was supplied. Now changing to PN Unlimited Fibre, a Technicolor 582n: Fibre wireless router has been supplied. Can someone tell me what are the differences in use and performance between these two, please? I have not fitted the 582n yet.
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: PN supplied wireless routers for fibre?

Hi there,
Either device should essentially give the same performance. There's the obvious cosmetic differences, a different interface and a few different features but our service should work just the same using either.
Let us know if there's anything more specific that you're wondering about.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
peterfleet
Grafter

Thanks for the fast reply.
My follow up question is about the timing of when I should substitute the 582n for the Netgear fibre wireless router. On 28 December 2012 PN sent me a text to say that the new router was in the post and that PN would "text me again when your broadband is ready", and "please don't set up your router until then." From this I assumed PN would arrange some technical changes to convert the service from Value Fibre to Unlimited Fibre involving the 582n box.
The new wireless router arrived a day after, but I am still waiting for that PN text to advise me that I can install it.
If the two wireless routers work in the same way as you suggest, what is the reason that I have to wait for the PN instruction?
BTW the transfer of phone service from BT to PN appears seemless.Thanks to both parties.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I get you now Smiley
I've no idea why you've not received the second text to be honest so sorry for any confusion re that. However, you'd be fine to swap the routers over at any time you like, our TR069 system should automatically configure the Netgear if you leave it connected for around 10 minutes.
what is the reason that I have to wait for the PN instruction?

It causes problems with TR069, however we have entries for both routers on your account which means that if you switch over to the Netgear that then sees the corresponding entry of the router's details on your account, cross-matches the serial number with your login credentials then configures them on the router.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
peterfleet
Grafter

Ok. The swap is the other way - from Netgear to Technicolor.
I have been following members' comments about the poor, at a distance Wifi performance of the Technicolor, compared with some other £40 products sold elsewhere. That's why I asked at the beginning of this thread if PN knew of the performance difference between the Technicolor and the older Netgear that I have.
I assumed that the Technicolor would be superior because PN encouraged in their upgrade instructions for the process from Value Fibre to Unlimited Fibre to order the Technicolor even though PN had the information that I already was using the Netgear wireless router on Fibre.
Were those update process instructions correct?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

We'd not really recommend one over the other to be honest we made the decision to consolidate our hardware offerings to the one device (Technicolor) after we were able to provide the same router with either ADSL or fibre specific firmware.. The same should apply either way around so if you connect the TG582n you should find that it sets up automatically.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team