cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN state I have high sync, bt exchange ALWAYS connects much slower

amcclean
Rising Star

PN state I have high sync, bt exchange ALWAYS connects much slower

Since about Feb my previously high speed bb connection of 7000 to 8128Kbps has been reduced to about 4000 to 5000kbps. Around the time bt put interleaving on my account for NO reason. It subsequently took about 6 to 8 weeks to actually get bt to remove it.
I raised a ticket again last week regarding my BRAs not moving after I'd been connected at 5500 for 3 days.
On replying PN said that they could see my sync'd at 7000kbps plus and raised my line speed profile.
After 3 days this went down to 5000 in line with my router stated sync.
If PN can see a live connection to my router at 7000 plus then why does my router only record 4500 to 5500 and why does bt exchange not allow it to gradually raise to the previous 7000kbps.
After placing the ticket on the system I was called by support within hrs with the above info. Since then I have had to wait approx 22hrs for my latest response. The current ticket time is listed about 7 hrs.
COuld the cause of all my problems be why my connection appears to grind to a halt as the exchnage and pn profiles conflict with each other. Sometimes a page can hang for ages before appearing. It never used to. Tried it on 3 browsers
I have flashed the router bios with old and new versions of software and get the same result. i have restores router to factory software version but no joy.
WAG354G v2-UK
A
14 REPLIES 14
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: PN state I have high sync, bt exchange ALWAYS connects much slower

There have been some disconnections shown on your connection logs, I'd say it's worth checking the logs in the router as if you aren't disconnecting deliberately each time you might have an intermittent connection issue - this will be the cause of the drops in speed profile you are seeing. There is no possibility of the exchange and plusnet profiles conflicting, so if it is a line fault we'll be able to investigate if you raise us a fault (the faults wizard can be found at http://faults.plus.net).
Hope this helps,
amcclean
Rising Star

I disconected tonight about 5 ish to allow the speed profile to change as suugested in my ticket response I have since not disconnected.
I have tried bt speed test and recieved this text feedback

The IP address discovered on the network associated with your telephone number:01********, did not match the one we have logged from this browser/connection. Please check your telephone number and try again. If problem persists please contact your CP.
I'm off to find out who I access the log detailing connections.
A
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you have a linksys router it should have a logs section showing drops in sync, though I've never used these and couldn't tell you where this would be I'm afraid.
prichardson
Grafter

Depending on the admin screens, it is access via logging into the setup screens, selecting Administration and then Reporting.
You will need to enable logging before you can see anything.
amcclean
Rising Star

These are the only log type details I can find.
2007-08-17T21:31:54+00:00 UDP: From: 192.168.1.**:*****To: 212.159.*.*:**
2007-08-17T21:31:54+00:00 TCP: From: 192.******:49340 To: 212.159******:80
2007-08-17T21:31:55+00:00 TCP: From: 192.168.****:49341 To: 212.159.8.*****

The whole log looks the same.
A
amcclean
Rising Star

Just spoke to customer support and now I'm more confused than before.
Apparently pn can see that my line sync at the exhnage is set for 7000 as per line speed on my pn line speed page.
My router is not connecting anywhere near the 7000.
How does this all work. I understood that if I had a great quality line then my connection speed could be high but the actual throughput over the connection would vary depending on contention etc at the exchange. i.e Sync at 7000 to 8128 but at peak times only get download speeds of 2mb but the sync would not change only the actual download speeds.
The person I spoke to advised that the sync speed is not dependant on line quality but on the contetion at the exchange and this could be why i'm only sync'd at 5000 when my line is apparently provisioned for 7000 or more. On checking with the cs agent I asked if sync speed was dependant on useage at the exchange and they said it was.
if this is correct then I need to wait until the exchange is quite before I reboot in order to re-sync at a speed closer to my lines stable rate.
Who is correct?
A
amcclean
Rising Star

DSl Zone or any other page I have found make any mention of contention affecting sync speed. I accpet contention affects download speed but sync is surely on affected by line quality.
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/adslmax_explained.php
Who is correct?
A
BT website says this, my line lenght has not increased afaik.
For Telephone Number 01****** on Exchange exchnage area
Our initial test on your phone line indicates that you should be able to have BT Total Broadband with a likely maximum speed of up to 7.0 (Megabits per second).
Please note that this speed is only an estimate based on information available to us about the length of your phone line. Your actual speed will additionally depend on factors within your home, principally the length and quality of any internal phone wiring, and the speed of your computer and modem or router.
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Could I suggest you pop over to here http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm and download Routerstats. You can then use this to monitor your router over time and graph the downstream speed and SNR values. This will give you valuable information on the state of your connection and can show you if and when the line dropouts happen.
I and others have used this excellent little program to hone in on a line fault problem that may be caused by intermittent noise bursts on the line. I’m not saying you have noise on your line but the graphs from Routerstats can pinpoint the time and status of your line, you can then use this information to further investigate what is causing the problem.
Regards, P.
amcclean
Rising Star

Pendragon.
Cheers
I've downloaded and installed routerstats what deatils would I need to supply to pn to help get this sorted.

A
Pendragon
Rising Star

OK the router will automatically generate log file in the background and you can refer to them at any time for details. I found it best to let the computer running Routerstats stay running and logging the data for at least 24 hours if you can (you can switch off the monitor to save power) that way you can get a real idea of the normal condition of your line.
You now need to look for abnormal changes in your downstream speed and SNR. Once you notice this look for patterns that may happen at a certain time or may be completely random. It may happen when you get an incoming phone call or make an outgoing call. Only you can observe the graphs and make a decision on what is normal or not. Once you detect a problem you can shorten the ‘sample rate’ to say 15 seconds to further close down the problem area.
When you have the abnormal graph find the log file to match and cut out the section relevant to the problem and post it to support. This is a small section from one of my logs to give you an idea of what you are looking for, remember your drops will not be as bad as this (I hope).
Thu 07 Jun 2007  08:57:56, Rx-Noise= 0, Tx-Noise= 23, Rx-Sync= 3776, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  08:58:11, Rx-Noise= 0, Tx-Noise= 23, Rx-Sync= 0, Tx-Sync= 0
Thu 07 Jun 2007  08:58:26, Rx-Noise= 23, Tx-Noise= 0, Rx-Sync= 2, Tx-Sync= 1
Thu 07 Jun 2007  08:58:41, Rx-Noise= 15, Tx-Noise= 23, Rx-Sync= 608, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  08:58:56, Rx-Noise= 8, Tx-Noise= 23, Rx-Sync= 608, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  08:59:11, Rx-Noise= 7, Tx-Noise= 23, Rx-Sync= 608, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  08:59:26, Rx-Noise= 7, Tx-Noise= 23, Rx-Sync= 608, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  08:59:41, Rx-Noise= 6, Tx-Noise= 23, Rx-Sync= 608, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  08:59:56, Rx-Noise= 7, Tx-Noise= 23, Rx-Sync= 0, Tx-Sync= 0
Thu 07 Jun 2007  09:00:11, Rx-Noise= 6, Tx-Noise= 23, Rx-Sync= 2, Tx-Sync= 7
Thu 07 Jun 2007  09:00:26, Rx-Noise= 4, Tx-Noise= 19, Rx-Sync= 160, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  09:00:41, Rx-Noise= 4, Tx-Noise= 19, Rx-Sync= 160, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  09:00:56, Rx-Noise= 4, Tx-Noise= 19, Rx-Sync= 160, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  09:01:11, Rx-Noise= 4, Tx-Noise= 19, Rx-Sync= 160, Tx-Sync= 448
Thu 07 Jun 2007  09:01:26, Rx-Noise= 4, Tx-Noise= 19, Rx-Sync= 160, Tx-Sync= 448

I have attached some graph printouts to show you what was abnormal and normal on my line (BTW it took 3 months to fix it and it was not even F9’s or my fault).
Regards, P.
amcclean
Rising Star

I have managed to get it to show a graph of downstream but there is not a page which gives the long list like the one you posted. My graphs are nowhere near yours either. Not sure I have the right version of wag354g
A
Pendragon
Rising Star

Warning long post, sorry  Roll_eyes
I also have a Linksys WAG354G modem/router/wireless gateway so you should be able to get the same stats as me without any problems. If I walk you through what I did you can see if your set up matches.
First open Routerstats as normal so the main Graph window is open.
Click the small cogwheel and spanner icon in the top left corner to open the configuration window.
In the ‘Router Login and Logout’ page your ‘URL to router ‘stats’ page’ should look something like this ‘http://192.168.1.1/Status_DSL.asp’ (that is the default to the stats page in my router.
The Login button should be ticked and the username (default is ‘admin’) and password should be the same as you set them up (I hope you changed the default password).
The box ‘Remember password’ should also be ticked
Leave the logout box empty (not ticked).
Now click the ‘Router Search Text’ tab to open the next page.
Click the button ‘Get Page’ on the right hand side and the router stats page should fill in the window. If it does not then go back to the first page and change the username and password until it does.
Scroll the window down until you have the words GDMT near the top of the window and the numbers displayed for the router stats.
Now using the mouse highlight each set of numbers in turn and as you highlight the number set click the appropriate button on the right column to allocate the number to that button. So for instance highlight the first set of numbers (only the numbers no white space or letters) and when they are highlighted click the ‘Rx Synch’ button and so on for Tx Synch, Rx Noise and Tx Noise in that order.
As you allocate each set of numbers to their button you should also see the number appear in the stats line at the bottom of the window. If nothing appears click the ‘Test’ button to see if they appear then.
If you wish you may now click the ‘Graphs’ button to fine tune how your display will look (note the three tabs on the left edge of this window to give access to the set ups). This is where you make changes to the colours, sample rates and the graph axis limits. I will leave you to adjust as you wish.
Lastly you might want to check the ‘Log’ tab and double check the ‘Enable Log’ is ticked and you have a suitable folder to store your log file in.
That’s about it really just tick ‘Save’ and ‘Close’ to exit.
If you now click the ‘Go’ button (green arrow) and wait awhile the graphs should start to fill in. Clicking the tabs both on the Top row and the left side will give you access to all the graphs. To save a picture or the change what is logged right click anywhere in the graph window and click ‘Capture Now’ (picture) and ‘Add to Log’ (does what is says).
Hope that explains how to get graphs like mine.
Regards, P.
amcclean
Rising Star

Got it working now. I have used rx sync and rx noise as my downstream  from exchange to me and tx sync and tx noise as me to exchnage is that the correct way around.
It all seams to be making graphs now. I've ticked for logs as suggested.
Many thanks for your help, very much appreciated.
A
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yes that is the correct way around.