cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN network unable to cope with Apple software downloads tonight?

mitchell20
Grafter

PN network unable to cope with Apple software downloads tonight?

Normally don't have any problems downloading updated Apple iOS software but tonight it's a whole different matter!!!
None of the Apple iOS software (iPhone, iPad and Apple TV) will download properly tonight.
It's not an Apple problem as I spoken to at least 10 of my friends who have all successfully downloaded the updates (none of which are on PN)
It's now been 2 hours and so far all I've managed is a max of 200Mb for the iPad update.
What's going on PN and why can't your network cope at peak times any more? I'm also supposed to be on a Pro package.
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: PN network unable to cope with Apple software downloads tonight?

I'm going for the direct download and getting 535k/s links can be found here http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/22/ios-4-2-download/
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: mitchell20
None of the Apple iOS software (iPhone, iPad and Apple TV) will download properly tonight.

Being on Pro you certainly shouldn't be suffering from these problems! Huh
I notice you disconnected/reconnected around the time you made this post? Did that improve the situation?
If I had to take a shot in the dark then I'd say that you weren't properly authenticated with our traffic management platform. When this happens you're assigned a 'default profile'. This profile doesn't treat Limelight Networks traffic very kindly (which includes stuff downloaded from Apple).
Session Started	Session Ended	Session Duration
19:56 22/Nov/2010 N/A   13:52:21 (on going)
19:20 22/Nov/2010 19:55 22/Nov/2010   0:35:28 <---- Default profile?
16:30 14/Nov/2010 19:19 22/Nov/2010 8 Days, 2:48:57

Anyway, shout up if things still seem a bit ropey...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mitchell20
Grafter

I did try re-booting twice so that will explain the disconnects.
Just updated all 3 devices (iPhone, iPad and Apple TV) now and everything went OK.  I've now just got a mammoth amount of usage from yesterday (2.2gb) with nothing to show for it 😞
Still not impressed with the service I get from my so called 'Pro' package which obviously is only Pro when the traffic shaping platform works properly (which I have to control over)
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: mitchell20
Still not impressed with the service I get from my so called 'Pro' package which obviously is only Pro when the traffic shaping platform works properly (which I have to control over)

Why, has this happened before? Getting assigned a default traffic management profile is a pretty rare/unlikely occurrence. If you do ever suspect it of happening then a PPP disconnect/reconnect should sort it. If it doesn't, something else is at play and we'd need to investigate further.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵