Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN line speed reset needed?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: PN line speed reset needed?

The change in line attenuation is indeed the biggest clue that there is an issue with the copper pathway.  I suspect you need a d&e side pair swap to sort that.  Given that you've chosen to have different retail suppliers for voice and broadband services, I hold little hope of you getting BT Retail to sanction this as the voice service us 'OK' and if I understand the rules correctly an ISP cannot sanction such a change.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone from CRT will clarify.  Personally I would get both voice and Internet services provided by the same retailer, then there can be no BTw / BTOR inspired Buck passing.  This is the kind of stupidity Sharon White ought to be dealing with rather than fining those who confess to having made a mistake and then make autonomous efforts to rectify them.  BTOR appear to be willing to go to any length to avoid fixing marginal services.  That said your double digit synch speed is far better than my sub 5Mbps over which I can do all that I need, including streaming TV.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, again, Mr.T.

I'm being told by my son to switch to PN for line rental and I may just do that but right now there's a ticket with PN (they've been very helpful in the past: two BTOR guys were sent by PN) and I have another contact ready to put BT higher level fault team to work if necessary. 

I take your point re your d/l speed but having had c.19 and those around me still do I'm not giving up!

ITM, which version of RouterStats: the main one or the Lite? 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Personally I would use the full product ... but check out router compatibility of each - see the download link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mardler
Rising Star

Many thanks.

Mardler
Rising Star

PN Line Speed fallen to 15.1, d/l fallen to 13.8, u/l fallen to 1.03.

Connection up 3 days from when Target SNRM set to 5 via router, sync still at 17198 which tallies with IPP of 15.17 and explains PNLS (but note IPP was steady at 19 to 21 throughout Aug/Sept 2016).

Mardler
Rising Star

TV reduced SNRM by 0.7db tonight; stabilised at c.5.6.

But there was an outage about 25mins ago (now 21.17) - the first for >3.5 days. 

Strangely, this happened at the same time (caused by?) a friend using his phone to make a FaceTime call; the call connected then failed, another try took him to a foreign country! Eventually OK but it makes me wonder if there's a connection (sorry!).

IPP rose a tad on reconnect as did d/l speed but SNRM is now 5.1/5.2 & briefly hitting 5.0 which is very close to Target if DLAM hasn't adjusted what I set upwards.

Mardler
Rising Star

Now very clear.

Connection stable during the day but sync always low for so close to the exchange. As SNRM falls after dusk and TV is on outages occur.

This is caused by the noisy line. Holding an AM radio underneath our downline clearly shows much louder hash on 612KHz than on neighbours' lines. Down attenuation has gone from 6db to 16 over the last 10 years and throughout 2016 it was c.19. That is the problem: solve it and all will be well.

PN: please get BTOR to look at and correct this asap.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I think you are between a rock and a hard place.  This is a copper path way issue, so it more than likely needs to be addressed by your voice provider.

Mardler
Rising Star

Agreed.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Why? What makes people think that an Openreach person sent to fix a broadband fault can't do anything to the physical line? Obviously that's nonsense.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I guess we will have to just wait and see. Cool_smiley

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Just to clarify an SFI should be able to fix both a broadband and phone fault, but in the first instance if the phone service is faulty this should be reported to Openreach rather than to BT wholesale as it's likely a broadband fault report will be rejected should the copper line test fail.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Anoush,

Thank you for adding the info here.  I think that this user's line has passed voice / copper tests though attending engineers suspect a u/g fault being responsible for the increased attenuation on the line.  To add to the complications here, there is some evidence of local RFI, but nothing massive.  @Mardler has apparently been chasing SNRM changes in detail in an attempt to get back his 21Mbps synch speed of yore - but if the reports on a marked change in attenuation are correct, a bit of RFI will be neither here nor there.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'll take a look at things tomorrow.

+Edit+

This is my 2000th post Cool_smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Townman wrote:

The change in line attenuation is indeed the biggest clue that there is an issue with the copper pathway.  I suspect you need a d&e side pair swap to sort that.  Given that you've chosen to have different retail suppliers for voice and broadband services, I hold little hope of you getting BT Retail to sanction this as the voice service us 'OK' and if I understand the rules correctly an ISP cannot sanction such a change.

What rules are you referring to here?

The BTWholesale WBC handbook explicitly mentions that D and E side changes are one of the things an SFI2 engineer can do - but the things an SFI2 engineer can do depends on the ISP ordering the necessary modules. Of course the SFI2 visit will be fairly expensive for the ISP if the line passes the initial tests, regardless of any subsequent work that may be done even if it makes an improvement.

----

I'm sure I don't need to tell Mardler that a faulty (unbalanced) line will be more susceptible to external interference than a non-faulty line.