Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN line speed reset needed?

Mardler
Rising Star

Re: PN line speed reset needed?

My apologies: both.

I assumed that the 6.7 I gave was down and for the reason you stated. By the same token the attenuation figure (above) is likely down/up.

I asked because the stupid stats show speed as up/down followed by those two t'other way about with no explanation.

Raises an interesting point. My neighbour's connection gives a max rate of 20220 at 6.7SNR; if my router(s) connected at 6.7 I'd get a max rate c.15 to 16. Neighbour's down attenuation is 10.6, ours is 15.5 to 16 (but was 9 then 12 and our connection was rock solid at the max i.e sync at 21!). There lies the clue: external line fault.

Mardler
Rising Star

Taken from my topic requesting a PN line speed check:-

PN line speed is, now 15.9.

IPP is 16.16.

Sync is 18315 therefore line speed should be closer to 16150 or 16.1.

More importantly, d/l speed (Ookla) has not changed - now 13.84. Why? 

Interestingly, the BTW speed test. that now always reads wrongly, gave d/l speed of 0.00 (!) but Further Diagnostics gave 13.74 - the first time in months that it has tallied with Ookla.

I'd be grateful for thoughts on the d/l speed not being closer to 15.9.

Mardler
Rising Star

Rock solid all day (since c.04.30) but outage at c.18.30, stats similar to before but SNR a tad lower as is sync.

Interestingly, d/l (Ookla) has increased to 15.

Mardler
Rising Star

SNR and Attainable rate falling - why?

Mardler
Rising Star

Several outages after 18.30 again - a pattern?

So many I increased SNR to 5. Sync reduced to c.17.5 but d/l (Ookla) holding just above 15.

PN - any news on my ticket/fault?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there, I've updated your ticket for you.

If you let me know on here once you've replied I can progress the fault for you.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Mardler
Rising Star

Thank you; I have read your note and will update later.

ITM, please note the following:-

1. For the last two days I have been using my router to adjust the target SNR. First to 3, then 4 but that was unstable. At about midnight last night I adjusted SNR to 5 but this morning it is 6.

2. Wednesday (SNR = 4) the connection was rock solid until just before 18.00 when the outages started.

3. Thursday (SNR = 4) similar, outages started c.18.30.

4. I wish to monitor the connection tonight, tomorrow and Sunday before asking for an engineer callout.

5. I have had 5 BT/OR engineers out! Faults have been found at the exchange and at the pole from which our line comes. One engineer was convinced the fault was in the underground copper line from the exchange to our pole. The last guy (sent via PN a few weeks ago) checked everything from BT cable entry through the master socket to the router and confirmed all internal stuff was AOK.

6. I was told that the engineer sent out by PN was free regardless of where any fault was found.

I think we should let all alone for 48hrs and see what happens.

Mardler
Rising Star

One more thing, Anoush.

Whilst the SNR went up from 5.1 to 6.1 (now) in the last 14 hours the "Attainable rate" also increased a bit from 18788 to 19380. Sync remained at 17467.

The down power fell a smidge from 19 to 18.9.

(The down line attenuation has gone from 9 to 15.5 over the last 10 years.)

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Yeah, I'd advise to leave the SNR adjustments to the DLM at least for the next few days and see how things go. Let us know how you get on.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, I shall.

One thing I also want to do is reset the SNR to 3 or 4 and if the daytime connection holds watch for c.18.00+ outages as this may be a clue to interference at that time.

OTOH, it doesn't explain the deterioration of the line over time: even during the day it's far worse than it was. My neighbours are all still getting the same stats as I did pre Dec 15.

I'll be back next week.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Everyone will get a rise in SNRM around sunrise and a fall in SNRM around sunset. One aspect is due to changes in the upper layers of the atmosphere which allow radio signals to travel further at night. Another is that more people will be at home in the evening, switching on their computers, TVs, lighting etc. and the street lights will be on (if there are any where you live).

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks ejs but I can't agree with all of that.

True that AM propagation improves at night for well known reasons (ionospheric refractive changes) but it is variable and will affect lines differently. In our case the line is underground from the exchange to a pole outside our house where the drop line reaches us. More importantly, I have never seen the slightest change in SNR at night and still don't.

As for people using other kit in the evening that is certainly likely to affect the connection in built up areas but we live in the sticks (0.8km from the exchange) with low density housing. It's possible but unlikely that congestion could increase but I'm not convinced of domestic interference.

Anyway, I was talking about outages and the possible link to something happening in the evening. I think it's very unlikely that it's residential interference but I keep an open mind - it might even be our own TV so I'll be checking in the next few days.

But, bear in mind that (a) before Dec 15 we never had any such problem (b) the really bad outages used to happen at any time of the day and (c) the SNR doesn't change only stability. Oh and over the last 10 years or so the down line attenuation has gone from 9 to 15.5: I think this is crucial.

Cheers!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Mardler at 23-03-2017 6:49 PM wrote:

SNR and Attainable rate falling - why?

Yesterday you seemed to be reporting that the SNRM was falling, at about the time it gets dark in the evening - now you're saying this never happens?

Mardler
Rising Star

No, not SNRM - outages.

I just checked my router data (saved screen shots) and there's no evidence of decreasing SNR at night.

I'm watching router stats and Attainable rate is falling.

Interestingly, my wife just turned the TV on and the BB connection dropped. This has never happened before so needs investigation - probably coincidence.

The SNRM was stable at c.6 but the reconnect was back to where I set it at c.23.55 last night - 5.1.

The TV was just turned back on with no outage.

I have to go out but I've no doubt that on my return I'll find more outages.

Mardler
Rising Star

SNR just dropped to 4.4.

(It's done this sometimes during the day, too, btw, and with different routers.)