Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN line speed reset needed?

Mardler
Rising Star

PN line speed reset needed?

My line speed is showing as 15.2mbps.

Router (now a Billion 7800DXL which replaced Netgear DG834Gv2 which replaced TG582n three weeks ago) stats:-

Attainable rate: 18260; Line rate: 16874; SNR: 6 to 7, currently 6.2

Speed test (Ookla): 14.47

IP Profile (BTW): 14.89 (this test still gives a ridiculously low speed result often as low as 2, now 6)

The connection is reasonably stable, outages seem to be every three or four days instead of every 60 seconds (at times).

My questions are:-

1. How can the IPP by reset? Only by an SNR adjustment? (My understanding.) Or is there another way? At the moment the max attainable and sync rates are far higher than the IPP which makes no sense.

2. I have seen mention of an ISP line speed cap. Does PN do this? If so, can that 15.2 be raised to, say, 19 or 20?

3. It should be possible to tweak the SNRM via this modem. I shall leave it as is for a few more days (installed March 14) to let the DLAM settle. Is it then best to ask PN to reset the SNR or should I do it?

TIA 

88 REPLIES 88
Mardler
Rising Star

Re: PN line speed reset needed?

Outage at 20.00 or so.

Reconnected at: AR 17864, Rate 16623, SNR 6, Ookla 14.3.

Edit: AR creeping back above 18000.

legume
Rising Star

BTW IP profile for adsl 21cn is set at 88.2% of your sync speed for everyone.

Yours is correct  16874/14470 = 0.882....

Sync speed is at ATM level, IP profile is a (sort of) made up figure of what you can get/are limited to at IP level because of the overhead difference between ATM and IP, plus BTW back off a tiny bit.

Mardler
Rising Star

Of course but I want to know how that IPP can be increased (OK, I know we are restricted by DLAM but there must be a way around it). 

Also it doesn't explain why 6 and 7 months ago the sync was at 21.5 with SNR at 6.9, IPP 18.97 and d/l (Ookla) of 18.25.

These figures have decreased ever since despite everything having been checked: see my other thread - it's a serious line fault. Feel free to comment on the line problem here.

Thanks for your response.

Mardler
Rising Star

Another outage at 22.31; all looking too familiar.

Weather is wet & windy.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

@Mardler

A duplicate OP was caught by the Spam Filter, released and removed. 

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks.

i'm not surprised. I tried to post several times. At first, it appeared OK but then it disappeared. Confirmed by using separate devices.

it took ages for it to stick, again using separate devices.

Mardler
Rising Star

So, why 6 and 7 months ago, was the sync at 21.5 with SNR of 6.9, IPP 18.97 and d/l (Ookla) of 18.25 and no outages?

Why, in early October, did everything deteriorate?

Please don't ask the same old questions (see my "anomaly" thread) because (a) nothing has been changed (except better routers have recently been used) and everything has been checked by me, BT/OR and private engineers. Internally, all is perfect - and yes, results are the same at the test socket.

Also, can someone explain why no neighbour has a problem and their d/l speeds are all still c.18/19 with near rock solid stability?

Why, too, was the down SNRM c.9db years ago then 12 and now 15.5? I say a copper line or exchange fault.

I've been offered (and have) a new 5C master socket but it is impractical to install it and I can't see how it will help anyway.

legume
Rising Star

I can't explain line behavior - that's for openreach via plusnet to fix if there is a fault, and regular dropping is a fault.

Small chance something in/near your house has started bursting out RF noise I suppose. Maybe start monitoring line stats/error rates on the router and see if you can find a pattern.

I wouldn't care about IPP though - as long as it is not below 88.2% then it's OK.

Sync rate and getting a stable line are the things to care about and you are at mercy of openreach to fix that.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I suffered for ages (about 18 months) from slowly declining line speeds. Very difficult to get to the bottom of.

Obviously I do not know the cause in your case but in mine two faults at the premises were eventually found. One inside the NTE 5 consumer faceplate and the other in the Openreach cable immediately behind the NTE5. The latter possibly even caused by the engineer who installed the old NTE 5 socket.

The very big problem was that both faults were highly intermittent and were for a long time only present very erratically and for short duration Only, after a long time, when they manifested in a continuous fashion could they be traced. The first, in the consumer faceplate, by myself and the second eventually via line test and confirmed by an engineer on site.

Certainly the fault in the consumer faceplate was due to environmental factors (condensation) which accounted for its variability. Watching the line condition on something like DLstats and using the BT Quiet Line Test may help check for such problems. I don't know if this helps.

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, legume.

Mardler
Rising Star

Thanks, pvmb.

Everything inside the house has been checked and the cable from the down line replaced, as was the master socket.

One BT engineer found a wet joint at the top of the pole where our down line is fixed (all other copper line back to the exchange is underground). He fixed that and did some more tests; he was convinced that there remains a line fault underground.  

Mardler
Rising Star

There have been two more adsl outages. 19.10 last evening and 01.18 this morning.

Att rate 18888, Rate (sync) 17098, SNR 6.3, IPP 15.08, PN line speed 14.6, Ookla speed 13.83.

This is a familiar pattern: after a period of stability the IPP and line speed start to fall after every outage. My guess is that this will continue until IPP gets down to c.12.

(Btw, the IPP is taken from the BT Wholesale performance test: it still gives low speed reading: now 4.65 but easily proven wrong by downloading large file.)

Oh and for those who haven't read my long topic, we've also had total phone line outages. BT/OR don't want to know. 

Mardler
Rising Star

From the Billion 7800DXL router forum:-

"It seems the BT profiling is kicking in on your line, and keeps trying to achieve a minimum of 6db, you should speak to your ISP about this as the default SNR keep rising (when no tweak is applied)

Ask your ISP to reset your line profile, this should bring the default SNR back to 6db, also ask if a minimum target SNR has been set to your line, and if the BT profiling can be turned off."

This is close to the question I am trying to get answered - can PN set my line speed back to 21 (as was done by Tony Thompson on Jan 23) to give the new router a chance to handle the line?

I don't hold out much hope but the Thompson 582n was poor at holding the connection (generated huge errors) so the DLAM upped the SNR & so dropped the connection rate. The old Netgear DG834Gv2 replaced the PN router and was considerably better at holding the connection. This has now been replaced by the Billion 7800DXL which might even be a tad better than the Netgear as it uses a Broadcom chip.

PN?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I got the impression from the last set of figures, that the target SNRM is currently 6 dB.

Unless we're talking about the DLM applying banded profiles, which is clearly not the case because the highest banded profile would limit the line rate to 14333k, there is no profile to reset to increase the speed.

The line rate controls the IP Profile, not the other way around.

All Plusnet can do to increase the line rate is set the target SNRM down to 3 dB, which is only going to reduce stability.