cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN Unlimited. Am I being throttled?

swedelong
Grafter

PN Unlimited. Am I being throttled?

Hi I called tech support this morning. They were completely stumped. I am an Unlimited customer and have once again found my d/l speeds not what they were... they are usually (on speedtest.net) around 7mb  best case. For the last couple of days it has been down to 2mb (any time of day or night). I have tried wired and wireless. Restarted numerous times... all no joy.
The strange thing is that the 2mb is rock steady. It doesnt fluctuate at all, it just reaches it's peak and stays there (as if its being throttled or shaped). The other odd thing is that the ping used to be around 55, it now shows around 25-35!! Much better! Upload speeds are where always were at around 0.38.

Here are some stats from my router, but it's getting frustrating as I use on demand video all the time (netflix and Sky movies) and the quality is suffering because of this.
Link Information
Uptime: 0 days, 0:05:29
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 11.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.5 / 8.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 12.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: PN Unlimited. Am I being throttled?

Two things to check
The result of the BT speedtest  http://speedtester.bt.com/ ; Diagnostics version
The Current Line Speed from https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
swedelong
Grafter

Ok, ran the test....
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.88 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
and on the PN site....
Current line speed:
7.15 Mb
So my IP Profile is 2Mbps? Is that the problem? Why would it suddenly change after being stable at 7mb for months now?
Also, do my router stats look normal. SN Margin and Attenuation etc.?
Thanks.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Yes that's the problem, you could have had a low synch event which has caused that and if so it should lift in a day or two.
Your router stats are great Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Too frequent rebooting of your router may be a cause of the 2Mb profile - you should leave your router on 24x7 so that the exchange (and Plusnet) see a totally stable connection.
Which exchange are you on? The reason I ask is that nearly a year ago you posted
Quote from: swedelong
Hi, my exchange is due for a 21CN upgrade in the near future.

but it looks as if you are still on 20CN.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
swedelong
Grafter

I have rebooted about 3 or 4 times in the last 48 hours to try to resolve this issue, but apart from that only ever reboot when absolutely necessary.
I did post that a year ago because the exchange had an upgrade date of before 31st Dec 2011 back then... the upgrade date has been pushed back all the way through 2012 and now says.... 31st Dec 2012!!!!
Glad to see that BT are keeping their promises on upgrading these rural exchanges.... Smiley

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll see what happens in the next couple of days... one question... will the IP Profile raise on it's own, or will have to restart the router at all? Do I need to call BT or anything?
Cheers.
/edit Oh yes... I also switch telephone service provider (not line rental - that's always been BT) from Sky to BT in the last couple of weeks. They added caller ID and a few other 'freebies' ... that couldn't be it could it?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Changed anything in your house?  Moved the phone, new phone, that sort of thing?
I'm surprised our support person didn't spot that your profile was at 2Mb.  Roll_eyes
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
swedelong
Grafter

Hi Kelly,
Only what I mentioned before about changing the telephone service provider. From Sky to BT. (not the line rental)
When I spoke to support earlier, I wasnt at home, so I couldnt do the official BT diagnostic test, maybe that's why it wasnt spotted the support technician. As long as I know it will sort itself out, that's all good.
Many thanks.
adie:quote
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

ah ha.  They didn't spot because we haven't received any updates from BT on your speed profile since February last year!  As far as we can tell, you are at 7Mb!  The BT speedtest suggests otherwise.
Chris is looking to see why we aren't getting any updates.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As Kelly says we haven't received any updates for your line for a long time!
There are a couple of ways to fix this:
- Put something unfiltered on to your phone line to force the sync rate down (unfiltered phone or similar and then reboot your router). Check that it's synced low and then remove the unfiltered device and reboot the router again, this should push the sync back up and start profiles generating.
OR
- Raise a fault to us for investigation, go to https://faults.plus.net and fill it in for a speed fault. Let us know when you've done that and we'll get someone to pick it up.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
swedelong
Grafter

Hi Chris, I have raised a fault ticket.
Thanks for all the help.