cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN Profile Throttles Speed?

Grafter

PN Profile Throttles Speed?

On two occassions I've been in the position of having a PN profile considerably higher than the BT one (at this moment PN = 9000k, BT = 6000k) whilst waiting for the PN one to fall. Using PN and other speedtesters it seem that I get a download speed about 300k better in this condition than when PN = BT., eg currently getting 5800k and this will almost certainly fall to 5500k. This set me thinking. Would it be to our advantage for the PN profile to be set above the BT one or even, why do we need a PN profile at all. There have been problems when it has got stuck and had to be manually reset and it only tries to double up on the BT one, stealing a precious few hundred ks in the process.
I don't know if the loss that I have experienced, ie about 300k, is fixed across the range or whether it is proportional to the profile speed. If fixed it could be significant for those on poor download speeds.
Have others experienced anything similar? Would PN care to comment?
4 REPLIES 4
scootie
Grafter

Re: PN Profile Throttles Speed?

ive had my PN profile alot higher than my BT profile once on the trial and experienced packet loss
matt_2k34
Grafter

This would be the reason for the profiles Smiley else PN could send 20mbit of data to everyone, - you'd get thousands of packets get dumped because your phoneline wont handle the speed.
I would suggest you have a look in your router stats and look for errors such as CRC Smiley (i'd expect it to be quite high)
dick:quote
Grafter

DMT program reports 0 errors in the last hour (this includes CRC). If CRC errors were to be present, what sort of figure would be 'quite high' - tens, thousands, millions (per hour)?
James
Grafter

Hiya,
We actually experimented on a couple of our staff members who started off the trials for us.
We set their profile to the maximum and one of them was unable to get any data transfer, whilst the other suffered considerable packet loss.