Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN Fiber router questions

daskinner
Grafter

PN Fiber router questions

Hi
I’m hoping my exchange starts to take orders next month which has made me start to think about the router I’ll be getting if I go with PN.
Are you able to confirm what the current model is and what the parental controls are like. I currently have the TP W8960N and the parental controls are great.
I can limit bandwidth to IP’s which is a must on my current ADSL line as I only have 6MB download and if we are trying to watch online TV while the kids are online gaming it’s a nightmare. I do realise this won’t be a problem if and when I get fibre as there will be enough for us all to do what we like but its good nice to have if possible.  The function I really will need is the ability to set up time controls so it will auto switch of the internet to a block of IP or MAC address at a certain time and switch back on at a specific time. Do you know if this is possible with the PN supplied router?
I have read that I could still use my current W8960N router alongside a supplied router by configuring one of the RJ45 ports but I’m not sure if this solution is only for wireless access if this is the case most of the IP’s and MAC’s id be looking to put a time limit on will be attached via cable. If it would cover cable and wireless once configured I would still have a problem as I’d lose one of the 4 RJ45 ports on the back of the router which are currently all being used. Unless I would still be able to use the ports on the PN supplied router for my equipment and then use the ports on the W8960N for the rest of the house?
Sorry for the long winded post, in my head it wasn’t going to be this long..
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: PN Fiber router questions

Are you able to confirm what the current model is and what the parental controls are like

It's a Technicolor TG582n, features like that are fairly basic compared to other routers but it should do a good job of looking after the connection for you all the same.
The function I really will need is the ability to set up time controls so it will auto switch of the internet to a block of IP or MAC address at a certain time and switch back on at a specific time. Do you know if this is possible with the PN supplied router?

We're finding out for you. We've deferred to our products team on that one so we'll let you know when we've found out more.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi daskinner,
I've had a word with a member of our Products team and they've confirmed that you can set up time controls to block MAC address at certain times.
The steps are detailed below:
- Login to the router
- Home Network on the left
- then Access Control
- then select the device from the list and click Add
- then the device can be edited in the section below for what time you want access
Please note it does this on MAC address, not IP address.
Please give a shout if you would like to know anything else and we'll be happy to help Smiley
daskinner
Grafter

Cheers both..
Are you able to check and see if you have any insider info as to when my exchange is going to go live ?
Sam knows says 31/05/2014 and the BT when and where says may.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

No worries,
Re your exchange we're not usually able to tell you any more than what's listed on http://dslchecker.bt.com/
but I would still check back there in a couple of weeks time as the end of May draws closer.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

The TP-LINK TD-W8980 can be used on FTTC - which information is of course completely useless to you as that isn't the model you have.
Sigh...
Must learn to read...
Embarrassed
andy265
Grafter

I know you can use the TD-W8960N v4 for FTTC, when you select the ethernet WAN option it converts LAN port 4 into a port for the fibre modem to be connected to. Other than that the router works exactly the same as for ADSL.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TD-W8960N
Ethernet WAN (EWAN) offers another broadband connectivity option for connecting to Cable, VDSL or Fiber modems

Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
andy265
Grafter

Don't think it applies to to orignal TD-W8960 that was white and flat, only the newer blue v4 ones.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

*All the above information applies to TD-W8960N 5.0 ONLY

Shocked
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
andy265
Grafter

Definitely applies to the v4 as well, I've installed a few of them for customers. Don't know why they couldn't have changed the model number when they changed the features though.
daskinner
Grafter

Quote from: w23
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TD-W8960N
Ethernet WAN (EWAN) offers another broadband connectivity option for connecting to Cable, VDSL or Fiber modems

Smiley

This is the one I have running the latest firmware.