cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PLEASE PLEASE reset my ip profile!!

ngfletcher1967
Grafter

PLEASE PLEASE reset my ip profile!!

BT has been working on our road today and the internet has been going on and off all day!! Up until today the connection was stable for over 5 days.
My IP profile is now set at 1.25mp it is usually at least 3 and sometimes higher!! I need that because we dont have tv reception in  our village over the aerial  so we can only watch iplayer on the internet.
So for my sake please increse the ip profile
Max. DSLAM throughput kBit/s 4640 448
Min. DSLAM throughput kBit/s 4416 352
Attainable throughput kBit/s 5456 848
Current throughput kBit/s 4512 448

Latency 4 ms 4 ms
Bit swap off on

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 9 12
Line attenuation dB 51 32
Power cutback dB 0
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: PLEASE PLEASE reset my ip profile!!

I'll do a line test now and find out what's what for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If your circuit is the one linked to from your forum profile, the profile is set to 3000k already, as is our side. You've recently lost the connection too, so this should meant you are getting the maximum speeds. If your account is different, drop me a ticket number, or PM me your username so that I can advise further. Thanks.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
ngfletcher1967
Grafter

yes ip profile up to 3 now. Thats better normal service has been resumed!!It must have reset during the night.
Will my ip profile increase over time because I think my line can cope with about 3.5 mp or even 4mp.
It was stable on 3 for over 5 days before but the ip did not increase how long does it take before it increases?
But thanks for looking.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If this is a 20CN service, then 4521kbps ought to deliver a 3.5Mbps profile.
The synch would need to get above 4544 (and remain stable) to achieve a 4Mbps profile.
CN20 can take 3-5 days of stability to deliver a revised profile.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Your best best is to see this fantastic web page - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
It shows your sync rate and what profile you should expect.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Tony,
The calculator on that page appears not to be working... this equally fantastic page - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#ipProfile - has the relevant information too.  Wink Cheesy
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I noticed the calculator wasn't the profile list was. And yes, we have that information on our portal too  Smiley
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
ngfletcher1967
Grafter

PLEASE can you reset my profile.It is usually at 3 or 3,5.
BT has been working on the road again and I am now on 0.75 MB!!
Every time they work on the road my speed goes down and I get lots of disconnections!!
Max. DSLAM throughput kBit/s 3424 448
Min. DSLAM throughput kBit/s 3232 352
Attainable throughput kBit/s 4080 852
Current throughput kBit/s 3424 448

Latency 4 ms 4 ms
Bit swap off on

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 15 13
Line attenuation dB 50 32
Power cutback dB 0 0
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

As advised before, profile is a function of synch speed - it is simply not possible to just "reset" the profile.  Those last synch rate stats are somewhat lower than the previous ones.  SNRM is quite high, the cause of which needs to be identified and remedied.
Is the phone line noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone in the master socket.  If there is noise, that needs to be resolved first.  If BT are working near by, they could be fixing a major cable fault.

ngfletcher1967
Grafter

Hi,
In the past when I have asked they have been able to manual rest the ip profile rather then  waiting for the system to catch up which can takes several days!! And since we are very dependent on the speed we can here its is very important!!!
There is no noise on the line and I wish BT would fix the major cable fault!! The cable down our road needs replacing because faults occur every week there is always a BT van down here working and usually while they are working on the cable I experience loss of internet and slow speeds. But since we live in the countryside BT are not bothered in replacing the cable instead they try and patch the cable up.
How do I get the SNRM down?  Would a new router help with that?  I have the BT one and the plusnet one but I use a Fritxbox because I need more control then those routers offer.
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Indeed PlusNET can fix a mismatch between their profile and BT's profile, but the latter follows the synch speed and should reset at the appropriate time.  The SNRM gets raised by the line management systems to deal with instability issues.  An elevated SNRM decreases synch speed.
So what is causing the instability?  Are you repeatedly rebooting the router or is your "more control" actually causing instability?  You do NOT really need "more control" of the ADSL side of the modem.  My TG572n with 10.2.2.B firmware is highly stable on my (also) 50dB line, delivering 5+Mbps with a current xDSL session of 200+ days.
You need to get a stable connection to obtain the best possible speeds.  I would check out all of the usual culprits - filters, internal wiring, router fudges (consider going back to the PN router) etc first and then run through the faukt checker her - http://faults.plus.net. Persistent requests for a profile rest is not the route to a proper resolution.

ngfletcher1967
Grafter

Hi,
I dont mean more control over the ADSL side I mean things like WLAN and port control,etc.
I do know the reason that is causing the instability  its the old cable that is affected by rain and the the work that BT keep doing to try and keep old cables working!!!
Last time I was connected for 5 days without problems until BT did some work and I lost speed and had connection issues all day.
So it will continue until they put a new cable in which is not going to happen in my village!!
AndyT
Grafter

Hi,
I've reset the line and your profile has increased to 4.5Mbps.  This should have taken effect already, but if not please force a new session by disconnecting and reconnecting via your router interface.
Cheers
ngfletcher1967
Grafter

thank you so much!!
Speed up to 4.19 MB now I know it will probably  settle to 3MP be that is fine for watching iplayer.
Thanks again for that.
Hopefully no more BT vans for a while!!!
Receive Direction Send Direction
Max. DSLAM throughput kBit/s 5568 448
Min. DSLAM throughput kBit/s 5280 352
Attainable throughput kBit/s 5932 804
Current throughput kBit/s 5472 448

Latency fast fast
Bit swap off on

Signal-to-noise ratio dB 6 14
Line attenuation dB 51 32
Power cutback dB 0