cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHP on homepages

Tony_W
Grafter

PHP on homepages

When are PN going to join nearly all other ISPs and offer PHP on the homepages server?
In this age of fast computers, it would be relatively simple to implement and would save a lot of effort by customers trying to work around the deficiency.
Tony
Business customer
Force9, F9 and PN since 1997
33 REPLIES 33
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: PHP on homepages

We already have a dedicated hosting platform that offers php functionality (ccgi.plus.net), and will not be offering this on the homepages server due to the security risks. We keep the ccgi server a lot more locked down (eg only allowing connections to this from users on plusnet broadband connections) in order to keep this secure, however it is important to offer wider connectivity on the homepages server, hence the different platforms.
Tony_W
Grafter

I've heard that arguement before.
So, let me get this straight. You allow connections from anywhere to the homepages server, but not the cgi server.
Customers' websites exist on both. One has PHP and the other does not. What security risks are there on the homepages server that would be compromised by allowing server side content on customer's websites?
If it just affects each particular customer why not let them choose whether PHP should be available for their homepages website area? Customers' areas are isolated - one customer can not affect another's area.
Why do other ISPs not recognise those security risks?
elmer
Dabbler

Tony
Of interest, PHP is available on the PAYH Plesk system and works very well, version 5 from memory without looking.
Those us that were on the very old Metronet system have been using Plesk since August.
We also have full cgi facilities and other things as well.
Elmer
Tony_W
Grafter

Thanks Elmer,
Unfortunately, my business website was originally established back in 2001 and is close to the top in Google for all of the keywords that matter for my product.
All of the links (both on Google and on many other forums) point to www.username.f9.co.uk
I can't move that anywhere. I even once tried a .htaccess redirection to the CGI server but I dropped out of Google for a month unitl I removed it and waited for Google to re-spider.
As an example of the difficulties, I am having to use:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/JavaScript">
<!--
var ref = document.referrer;
document.write("<script language=\"JavaScript\"  src=\"http://www.mydomain.co.uk/php/maincount.php?refer=" + escape(ref) + "\"><\/scr" + "ipt>"  );
//-->
</script>

(where www.mydomain.co.uk is hosted on the cgi server) just to pick up the referrer for a counter.
Tony
elmer
Dabbler

Tony
Do you not have Perl or any cgi on f9, as well as the lack of PHP?
Elmer
Tony_W
Grafter

Unfortunately not Elmer. As far as I know there are no server-side scripting facilities of any flavour on homepages.
I get 30,000+ page views per month. If I could seemlessly host www.username.f9.co.uk on the cgi server I would....
Tony
elmer
Dabbler

Tony
Have you thought of using the facilities on JTN to point to a website on PAYH, and use the JTN masking?
I use it on a number of my websites and have had no bother with Google or any search engines.
It would preserve your original website address and give you the facilities you need with PHP and Perl.
Elmer
Tony_W
Grafter

Elmer,
I will look into it, and I'm sure that my .co.uk could be hosted there, but that gets very few hits.
I would have to point a subdomain of F9 to the hosting space on JTN, and I do not think that the DNS servers would do that.
Perhaps someone from PN could comment on the feasibility of pointing subdomains. Or possibly suggest other options that I might not have considered.... Orbrey?
elmer
Dabbler

Tony
Have a word with Aaron Bennett at JTN - PAYH.  He is just the best guy to talk to on this matter.
What he can do with DNS addresses etc may just sort your problem
Good Luck
Elmer
Tony_W
Grafter

Elmer,
I have looked at the FAQs at JTN. There is nothing there to suggest that a subdomain of another ISP could be seemlessly hosted with masking. They just talk about domains - that is why they are called JTN - Just The Name.
I would still like someone from PlusNet to comment and suggest options.
Tony
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Consider the number of times the ccgi servers have had problems with rogue scripts etc - even when it is restricted to PN only connections.
Homepages is available to anyone who sets up a dialup PAYG account and is therefore available anybody to upload anything (including hackers in Russia, Indonesia...) - and you are suggesting that cgi scripts should be enabled on this server? I think that is the most bonkers idea I've ever heard!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That still doesn't get over the fact that the homepages server can be updated from non-Plusnet connections. Taking that away would greatly upset a lot of business users who's websites are maintained for them by other people.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Tony_W
Grafter

Jelv,
The ONLY trouble from rogue scripts has been that they can hog the cpu time on the server system. They can still do that (and do) on the CGI servers. What is the difference?
Other than that, any scripts can only run within the customer's own space - in the same way that you can't get access to my homepages space.
If you think that free accounts are a problem, why not host the 'paid-for' webspace on separate servers to the free ones?
I am not advocating that the homepages server should be only accessible from a PlusNet connection, merely that I should be able run scripts in it.
I have hosted sites (4 of them) at Portland.co.uk. They can be accessed from anywhere by FTP. They have PHP available.
It is just that I can't run PHP on username.f9.co.uk and have to use complex 'cludges'
Tony
Not applicable

Quote from: Tony
I get 30,000+ page views per month. If I could seemlessly host www.username.f9.co.uk on the cgi server I would....

There are lots of topics about masking the url of the cgi servers, so it appears as www.domainname.co.uk, clearly this works as many people have repeated the instructions and tuitions over the years.
Whats wrong with moving the site to the ccgi platform, and masking the URL?
Apologies if its a stupid question - the hosting/scripting side of things is far from my strong suit.