cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG versus Broadband Your Way

mcurnow
Dabbler

PAYG versus Broadband Your Way

I am currently on a 2Gb PAYG and I am considering moving to BYW Option 2 to get 15Gb allowance. My usage is internet browsing, email, VPN and some downloads from a wide variety of websites, such as Microsoft developer websites. Under the BYW Option 2 traffic limiting, will I notice a reduction in speed of these downloads after 4pm? The blurb on speeds doesn't clarify what they mean by "download servers" and "download sites". Is this a specific list of web sites (e.g. Rapidshare) or does it mean that if my computer starts downloading a file over a certain size/time, then the download speed will now be constrained compared to PAYG?
I also understand I will lose my static IP address (don't think this will affect me) and be put on a higher contention ration (?). Anything else?
I don't need peer-2-peer, gaming, FTP.
3 REPLIES 3
paulby
Grafter

Re: PAYG versus Broadband Your Way

The list of download servers etc. can be found here.
You won't be put on a higher contention ratio and you can keep your static IP (when you raise the upgrade request go to Help and Support > My Questions and add a note to the ticket saying you wish to keep your static IP).
If you forget to do that, you can get a static IP at any time by going to Member Centre>Connection Settings>Control Your Broadband> Change IP Settings
For more info about BBYW have a look here.
Laser
Grafter

I'm on PAYG 2GB too, so can't comment on the actual BBYW experience. However, whilst it is frequently stated that "normal web browsing" will be unaffected, it is worth noting that the akamai servers are on the restricted list. More and more commercial sites (shops, banking, etc.) are using akamai for their image or download serving, which may impact your browsing experience. (Although the 1Mbps limit is not that bad.)
P2P is likely nigh on unusable though.
mcurnow
Dabbler

Thanks for the list of speed-limited servers - pity that link wasn't listed in a parent page, & for the tip about keeping my IP.