cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYG to BBYW2?

robingoodall
Dabbler

PAYG to BBYW2?

Ok, I'm on PAYG (14.99/month). I've never hit the 2Gb limit and had to pay more but it's a worry nagging in the back of my head.
Anyway, can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't just 'upgrade' to BBYW2 with a comfortable 15Gb limit at the same price?
I VPN to work so BBYW1 is out. I don't use VOIP either.
Thanks
Robin
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: PAYG to BBYW2?

Hi Robin,
Unless you're looking at using P2P/Usenet, then you shouldn't really notice any changes.
zubel
Community Veteran

Apart from the extra 13GB Wink
B.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

and the speed restrictions on FTP both up and down
the_groundsman
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I've just requested this move from PAYG to BBYW2. I manage a couple of webistes for 2 local sports clubs - is that where I willl feel the difference with the ftp speed (uploading content?) it looks like a massive difference.
Bit worried now...... Shocked
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

tbh, I've never noticed the difference.  I've got PAYG at one house and BBYW Option 2 at the other, and had totally forgot they had different ftp limits.  It's mainly peak time P2P that I can see a different on, and that I do very rarely.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

talpa
Grafter

Quote from: the
I manage a couple of webistes for 2 local sports clubs - is that where I willl feel the difference with the ftp speed (uploading content?) it looks like a massive difference.

Yes, that's where you'll feel the difference - I'm in a similar situation to you, and FTP is noticeably slower than with my previous provider. That said however, it works, and general web & email (Which is the majority of my usage) is excellent and it's cheaper than I was paying so overall I'm happy.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Things may be improving.
In response to this post
Indeed - the FTP restrictions are the only thing I dislike about BBYW Option 2. I download very small files regularly every evening, and they take an age to come down compared to my old provider
Any change of getting these bumped up a bit? Maybe to 512k?
James responded with
On my list for things to chase today 
from here
talpa
Grafter

Indeed - that was my post on ADSLguide, but as things stand today the posted should know what he can expect, and until anything is changed otherwise that's SLOW ftp ...
robingoodall
Dabbler

Thanks, guys.
I'll go do the upgrade now.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Apologies for bumping this a little, saves creating a new thread, as the title is exactly my query Wink
I very occ go over my download limit of 2Gb.  I dont use P2P/Usenet, or FTP either.  All me and the wife do is surf, use E-mail, use You Tube occasionally ( usually between 19:00 and 22:00, when the youngster has retired for the evening), and occ download stuff from places like filehippo, etc.  Reason I liked PAYG, was the lack of traffic shaping. Would moving to BBYW 2 be detrementil to me at all, with the download limits from download sites. Have a very stable 4.5-5.0 connection.  For instance just downloaded XP-SP3 full installer ( over300Meg 19:30), this was at a stable download rate of 525kbps ish. ( this was from microsofts servers however!!) Would this change with BBYW 2?  or should I just stay with PAYG.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

To be honest I would stay with PAYG as the only real saving would be to go to option1 with a couple of extra GB added.
I believe that the Microsoft servers are classed as download servers so will be significantly slower on BBYW Option 1 or 2 as the expected rate is 1,000kbps
God
Grafter

Penfold; I am on BBYW2 and I just tried SP3 from M$ to give you a comparison It was coming down at 420k a second. However I have on occasion had 700+k a second from M$ and other servers.
Peace be with you Penfold, say hello to DM for me.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Think I will stick with PAYG to be honest, I like the freedom of no significant restrictions.  not sure of James or Ian can help, but I did read somewhere they were thinking of a BBYW pro Lite, with no restrictions very much like the legacy PAYG, but with lower useage allowance.  If they did this, I would be more than happy to move to this product type. I think the legacy PAYG was quite popular, and if Plus could come up with something similar, given the business model that they have at the min, I think they will be onto a winner myself.
God  DM says hi Crazy
oliverb
Grafter

I'm uneasy about FTP speed limits. I've seen some signs that the existing limits may break some ftp clients, and I don't really see why FTP should be singled out.