cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P speeds shockingly low-- at any time!

halfchan
Grafter

P2P speeds shockingly low-- at any time!

I have recently changed to Premium with 80gb of paid usage. After a few tribulations I now have a fabulous download speed just under 11mbs.
BUT.....P2P download speeds are now shockingly low at any time..12am-8am or 8am-12pm.
I am VERY sceptical that this is just due to traffic prioritisation......as I have stayed up all night observing speeds (sad I know)..who the hell would be using video streaming/VOIP etc at this time? Not many I bet.....surely P2P should have the priority at theses times? What do you folks think?
4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: P2P speeds shockingly low-- at any time!

P2P will never have priority - however I do get good speeds between midnight and 8am on P2P
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
slipthru
Grafter

I've had good speeds at that time. What speeds are you getting?
scootie
Grafter

surely P2P should have the priority at theses times? What do you folks think?

nope i dont. it works fine as it is, apart from your case here. the prioity system at night still gives excellent speeds on p2p. i max my 3000kbps line out from midnight to midday on unlimited on 21cn adsl2.
if the prioitys was turned on there head at night then streaming and web ect would just not work as those pakets would get queued up and insane amount of latency. where p2p when it has line speed at night dosent get effected negatively by having to wait a second ish in the queue and if it ends up getting droped why waiting to long that packet can be requested again, where streaming gaming ect it has one shot at getting through there is no second chances.

how shockingly low are your speeds and remeber to qoute if your in kB/s or kbps
p.s i defently use my connection for streaming and gaming after midnight you might want to take a goose at this thread to see what life is like when latency is bad and those time senstive packets get held up http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80166.16.html
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you monitored what's happening on your line when you'd expect it to be faster using something like NetWorx? How much of your upstream capacity is in use?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)