cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P being throttled overnight

Galdere
Grafter

P2P being throttled overnight

Past few nights I've experienced P2P traffic being throttled overnight.
I've read PN have been lacking capacity.
What is going on please?
Thanks
43 REPLIES 43
Galdere
Grafter

Re: P2P being throttled overnight

Working alright at the moment, but the past few nights have been dodgy.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this traffic shaping site http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm suggest that speed is only restricted during 16:00 - midnight, and also lists if it is classed as a download or server site, chose the package in the drop down box at the top
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Pierre - looks like Galdere is on pro so never should be restricted.
I haven't noticed any throttling overnight - what makes you think it is throttled?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you look at the Kitz site,  towards the bottom, right it does suggest some restrictions, but silly me although on the Pro page it is for Premier Legacy
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Past few nights I've experienced P2P traffic being throttled overnight.

We've not made any changes to the P2P experience on Pro. Was it a well seeded file and what speeds did a normal speedtest give? It's worth keeping in mind that shortly after midnight alot of people turn on their downloads so you may see a blip for a short period when this happens.

Really? We've been lighting segments ahead of forecast as we're moving customers back from RIN and LLU. We've got more due in the next day or so too.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Chris

Really?

You sound supprised at that comment. When complaints are made about speed the usual stock reply from PN is that things will improve when more capacity is added. Usenet is crawling at the moment so if thats not lack of capacity then perhaps you could look into it and find out the problem
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We are looking into it, it's looking like there's been an increase in HTTP traffic across the network and we are looking at what we can do.
godsell4
Rising Star

From memory, it was normal to see the packet drops graphs (http://portal.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml) never showing any category/class regularly into double digits ... this now seems the norm .. PN comments?
SW,
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: orbrey
and we are looking at what we can do.

Any answers on this yet - from any PN staff
Galdere
Grafter

We've not made any changes to the P2P experience on Pro. Was it a well seeded file and what speeds did a normal speedtest give? It's worth keeping in mind that shortly after midnight alot of people turn on their downloads so you may see a blip for a short period when this happens.

That was perhaps what I experienced last night, but not the previous night. Files were well seeded and download would change from line speed to a trickle.
Really? We've been lighting segments ahead of forecast as we're moving customers back from RIN and LLU. We've got more due in the next day or so too.

Elsewhere in the forum a PN staff member has stated that new capacity was due to come online becuase of demand reaching capacity.
Mark
Grafter

Elsewhere in the forum a PN staff member has stated that new capacity was due to come online becuase of demand reaching capacity.

You got a link to that.?I cant seem to find it. I'd like to understand the context.
We light capacity based on tried and tested and very carefully modeled projections. We monitor customer growth daily, we study and monitor customer usage patterns and project our volumes based on that growth. We plan for additional capacity well in advance.  We don't simply wait for the network to reach saturation point and we ensure we are ahead of demand. We've lit a significant number of segments and deployed more centrals over the last 12 months than at any other point in our past.
As mentioned previously, more capacity will be added this week in line with growth and our business plan. Every day the management team review and discuss network performance and ensure that we are fully in line with our projections.
Mark
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
We budget for planned capacity growth in line with projected customer growth and have planned dates for when we add further capacity.  There are instances where we have to accelerate this growth, in occasions such as now.

This was posted on 22nd July and seems to suggest the extra capacity was being added at short notice
The full post is here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,77971.msg629680.html
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We accelerated the growth due to moving customers back from LLU and the closure of the RIN trial.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Galdere
Grafter

Quote from: Mark

We plan for additional capacity well in advance.  We don't simply wait for the network to reach saturation point and we ensure we are ahead of demand.

Good to hear that. Thanks
Maybe there was a problem the other night, that was more than the midnight demand, which still seems to be an admitted issue.
Things are back to normal and working fine for me now.