cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P and downloading

sdickinson

P2P and downloading

Hi There, Smiley
I am having a few probs with P2P and usenet(usenext access).
On average I only download approx 1 to 4gb a months using the above but since switching to plusnet I can no longer access files with USENEXT at all.
When I use P2P I get around 10kbs at the most (0.6k at the moment!). I do understand how P2P works and of course I know speed can vary a lot but  I am connected to 40+ peers and am getting less than a k a sec. At peak times with my last provider I usually got 150-450k a sec on similar seeded file at this time of day (8pm)
I also realise that Plusnet throttle P2P during peak times I knew this when I signed up but I am not an habitual downloader and value fast browsing above all else so was not put off by throttling I still expected p2p download speeds in at least triple figures.
Can anyone tell me why usenext stopped working and why P2P is slower than dial up?
I am on option2 with a 15gb cap - Bandwidth test sites show my connection at around 4m to 5m most of the time about the same as my old ISP maybe just a touch slower on average.
I am not over my allowance only used 2 gb so far.
Any advice most welcome
Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: P2P and downloading

Here are the max speeds that you can expect for your package http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml#Option2speeds
Obviously it also depends on the overall capacity left in PNs network.
What client are you using, are you using Port Forwarding on uPNP?
Also what level is your PN broadband firewall set to?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
sdickinson

All my settings are the same as I used with my last ISP.
I have turned off the Plusnet firewall.
I am using Utorrent.
Not 100%sure what  Port Forwarding on uPNP does - but it is turned on and have not altered it ever.
Thx again.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

If my maths are right then at 8PM the most you could expect is 26KBps (192 / Cool per second, which is what uTorrent will quote. I think.
So you might not get any better. During off peak I can certainly hit 500KBps.
Maybe you can schedule your downloads to be off peak and get better performance, i certainly do that wit Azureues.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
sdickinson

Ahhh see my mistake now  Embarrassed , I guess I will just use P2P at off peak times s'pose its free useage then too. Never tried to do it before but I guess my P2P software will let me schedule downloads gonna look into it now cause dont fancy sitting up just waiting for Off Peak to begin.
Thanks for that.
Smiley

zubel
Community Veteran

uTorrent certainly will allow you to do so.
Failing that, an upgrade to Pro will allow you to P2P at linespeed at all times, but you'll certainly munch your bandwidth doing so Smiley
B.
sdickinson

Thanks Guys  Smiley
Problem solved