cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P2P Activities Limited after 00:00

Alxns
Grafter

P2P Activities Limited after 00:00

Well i was downloading the new Ubuntu via the bittorrent client and after 00:00 the speed dropped from nearly 600KB/s to 35KB/s am i being limited for some reason i've checked my usage and everything seems in order (I'm on the extra plan up to 20meg/60GB peak) i've also tried different torrent sources.
The actual speed via Speedtest.net is fine  

i've reset my router but no luck so far
thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: P2P Activities Limited after 00:00

You may find that it picks up again in a bit, at midnight a lot of people have timed downloads starting so the network takes a hit and performance drops.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
chrisc3078

I have exactly the same problem and have done since i joined - have been able to download at 600kb once or twice the rest of the time it sticks around 20-35kb which is ridiculous as im also on the 60gb package
matt_2k34
Grafter

guys p2p is shaped throughout the day, so you will see slower than line speeds
see Here for the expected speeds.
ovale
Dabbler

I have never had a problem after midnight until tonight.
usually speeds right up to max at 00.01, but tonight a measley 22 kb/sec
The service page says there will be maintainance to the web pages tonight.
seems to be a goof up
re prev post, the limit at this hour for p2p on my account is 8MB !  according to the chart you refer to
has always been 8MB till tonight
Alxns
Grafter

Though your suggestion is possible its not happend before also all HTTP downloads are running fine i'm also trying to use a private tracker for a this particular torrent but i will monitor this and report back on my findings.
Ahh yeh chrisc3078 well i will find out by morning what the score is as if it runs fine once into my paid allowence they probably don't like me downloading to much on there "free" usage  Crazy
Matt_2k34 i'm currently set for linespeed after 00:00

ovale hopefully it is a cock up.
Alxns
Grafter

Ok well it seems things have improved speeds are slowly picking up  Grin
matt_2k34
Grafter

Guys...
You may find that it picks up again in a bit, at midnight a lot of people have timed downloads starting so the network takes a hit and performance drops

What you have experienced is that EVERYONES speed goes back up to line speed at midnight, this means that anyone whos set their downloads to go off at this time, will start now.. thats *ALOT* of extra bandwidth being used.
You might be on a gateway which has more 'heavy users' on (this is purely random, its not selected at all) so the 622mb/s of capacity it has, has to be shared out to more people wanting to download their torrents etc. at this time.
As adie said before, it always picks up as the network traffic levels out and people go to bed.
Its slow, because all other traffic gets the priority, and the P2P queue is *very* full.
Normally id point to here but for whatever reason, id fail to believe those graphs - as the drops are *very* low. -- Would be worth checking by a member of staff
Sometimes slow speed can be alleviated by "gateway hopping", but its easier to just wait the 30 mins / hour it takes for things to balance out.
Alxns
Grafter

Yeah well its happend again so i'm pretty sure its the network sorting its self out
well aslong as i do get my speed even by 1 it will all be good in the hood.
chrisc3078

im also having same problems again and all day, downloading at 31kbs. Its a joke, definatly looking to cancel soon if this dosent sort itself out soon i think its 3 times in 3 weeks that ive actually had a good download speed even tho bt test says i should have 6.5mb
matt_2k34
Grafter

please read above.
Expect this Daily, or bi-daily, certainly 2/3 times a week!
This is to be expected, the huge surge in *everyones* offpeak time starting at the same time...

Note to PN: Maybe in future packages, have the peaktime start at 1, to distribute some of this 'surged load' ? Tongue
But from my point of view, between 12 and 8 (with at least 6 at full-line speed) is more than enough to download anything.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

FWIW a moderately well seeded torrent is coming down at 3.0Mbps for me ATM on the old Premium account (which isn't that dissimilar to Extra). My line speed is 6Mbps. @chrisc3078, might be worth you raising a ticket on your account so that we can check you're on the right traffic management profile. Having said that, what what Matt_2k34 says is right, you can certainly expect a dip around the midnight - 1.00am mark.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵