Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overnight Network Traffic

mexicano
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Overnight Network Traffic

I know about the overnight traffic when you leave the router on but is 60.03MB normal? On view my broadband usage it says " Your router will respond to network traffic, even if your computers are switched off. As a result you may see tiny amounts of usage (typically a few KB or MB). This is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about." but 60MB??? This is not tiny, and last night I switched off my computer.
What I am concerned about is the traffic during the daytime which is part of my monthly 10GB usage.
Is there something I have to worry about or not?
Thanks for any help.
8 REPLIES 8
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Overnight Network Traffic

Remember that the free usage period runs until 8 am so you were still in the free usage period when you turned on your computer to check your usage!  Maybe that's how you got to 60 MB, which would be a lot if your computer had been off between midnight and 8.
mexicano
Rising Star

I went to bed at around 11 p.m. last night and switched off the pc. I switched it on at 7:30 this morning and the first thing I did was check the usage. I didn't do anything else. I opened google mail where I had 3 messages with no attachments so they couldn't add up to 60MB!!! All it was was the router running on its own overnight clocking up the usage.
So my question is, am I clocking up this also during the day when I put my pc in hibernation mode too?
Is it worth me raising a ticket with CS?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you sure the overnight usage you saw was for the current day rather than yesterday? My impression is that the monthly display doesn't include any figures for the current day until after 8AM? If you check overnight usage again is the "20 Sat" figure still 60MB?
David
mexicano
Rising Star

I rechecked again and it actually went up to 139MB. I've attached a screenshot. I have also sent a message to the support team. They have suggested that I switch off the router before midnight and switch it on after 8 a.m. I will do it and see what happens.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Yes, definitely the right day.  Huh  Normal keep-alive usage should be measured in kilobytes not megabytes.
Turning off the router overnight is a good check, it should lead to zero usage.
David
Grafter

mexicano - I see that your overnight use has been quite high with over 2GB being used. Are you using torrents which might account for high download and upload use?
mexicano
Rising Star

Quote from: 32110
mexicano - I see that your overnight use has been quite high with over 2GB being used. Are you using torrents which might account for high download and upload use?

Yes I do use torrents on some nights but not on the 20th. I actually switched off the pc that night but it still came up with 139MB. My real worry was that this huge amount of up/down usage happens during the day when I put the pc on hybernate when I'm not using it. I don't want this to eat into my monthly allowance.
I found a piece of software called networx and it calculated that I used about 95MB between 6 and 8 a.m. this morning so I cancelled the call to Tech Support at Plusnet. I figured if I used that much this morning then 139MB isn't that far different.
Thanks for the help all you guys.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

not sure as I and not a P2P person, but it could be others going to your router looking fot a link, both the up to your router and back message after it found  nothing would count