cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outrageous download times

Woody3600
Grafter

Outrageous download times

Hey guys, i'm trying to download the FIFA 14 Early Release via my Xbox and it's going to take 10 hours to download a 7gb file via the games console. My xbox is connected via ethernet directly to the modem which is kicking out at least 15mb/s. Why does it throttle the D/L speed for the console?
Previously this month it took 8 hours to download a 6gb file and 2 hrs to D/L a 1.7gb file!
Others who have similar speeds to me are getting the same file downloaded in an hour or so. What can i do to improve D/L times on my console?
Thanks,
Chris
13 REPLIES 13
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Outrageous download times

With it being a new release, It's possible that the servers don't have the capacity to cater for everyone downloading it. It's quite possible that the issue isn't on your side.
Woody3600
Grafter

It definitely isn't the servers, everyone else, and i mean hundreds of others, are downloading it rapidly or at least 75% as quick, even those with slower overall download speeds than me. A 15mb/s connection shouldn't take 10 hours to download a 7gb file, it's just absurd. If it were a download on a laptop or phone that size, it would D/L SOOO much quicker. I just want to know why the Xbox is throttled and what i can do to increase the speed it can D/L at.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

which version of xbox is it? some of them have 10 base t adaptors built in (the first generation iirc) because games don't actually require anything faster according to the original Microsoft exec in charge (and it saved them a few grand on the rollout cost .....) later  models came with faster ports but i think it was pot luck on what version number you got....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Woody3600
Grafter

It's a brand new 360 Slim bought a month ago as a replacement for one that broke. So it's not a case of hardware on the Xbox front i don't think.
nanotm
Pro

its possible that the download traffic is in a low priority Queue, or qos settings in the router are slowing it down (in favour of streaming or something)  or it could be a setting in the xbox is causing it to be slow
if its the former theres nothing to be done about it (you don't mention if they others getting the higher speeds are on plusnet) until Monday, but the latter are up to you to lookinto and correct as required.
bear inmind if it is a QOS setting causing the problem and people in your house are actually streaming something they wont be very happy with you changing things around 
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm so used to being on Plusnet's legacy products where large downloads were always done overnight during the free 'off peak' period, and the fact I'm on a 7Mbps connection, that despite now being on 'unlimited',  I just set the Xbox to download multiple files overnight when it is not being used for gaming, and have configured it to switch itself off when it has done.
That way, the download doesn't affect gaming latency, or anyone else streaming or browsing, and the Xbox download is ready to use in the morning.
I can't say that I've ever noticed that my connection wasn't downloading Xbox files at anything less than my IP profile would allow.
Woody3600
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
its possible that the download traffic is in a low priority Queue, or qos settings in the router are slowing it down (in favour of streaming or something)  or it could be a setting in the xbox is causing it to be slow
if its the former theres nothing to be done about it (you don't mention if they others getting the higher speeds are on plusnet) until Monday, but the latter are up to you to lookinto and correct as required.
bear inmind if it is a QOS setting causing the problem and people in your house are actually streaming something they wont be very happy with you changing things around  

The others getting higher speeds are not with plusnet no, the majority are with Virgin Media or have BT Infinity. With regards other usage etc, i'm the only one in the house and the only thing using the internet at the same time is the laptop i'm on and i'm doing nothing but checking the forum and using twitter.
If it IS the former, what would be the solution for me to ask Plusnet come the working week?
With regards qos settings, i can't access the routers settings. Whenever i try to access them online by typing in the IP address etc i just get a time out screen saying that it's taking too long to respond =/
Currently 38% downloaded in 4hrs 20mins. Thank the lord for DVD's and MOTD that's all i can say  Crazy
EDIT - A friend of mine who has a download speed of 3mb/s is currently having the same timespan on his download as myself. Mine is 15-20. There's definitely something amiss haha This is painful Sad
nanotm
Pro

i'd be concerned that the router was unreachable through the web interface,
can you get  telnet session to open on it ?
if not perhaps restarting it would at least restore the ability to login (might ant to wait till after you pause the download though
Woody3600
Grafter

How do i go about doing that? Smiley #TechN00b
nanotm
Pro

cool,
look here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,118287.msg1025819.html#msg1025819
there's a link to an article that tells you how to use telnet on w7
and I've listed the method to start a connection to the router
once your finished with the telnet window (don't change anything just use it to look at settings ) type the word exit and hit enter
also you have to hit enter at each stage of the process (if I didn't mention it) to run the various commands
I know I'm being a bit lazy but its late and my dyslexia is getting worse (I can tell by all the red auto correction underlines on my screen) I'm sure someone else will explain things better if you don't understand them just say so and in the morning when they lookover things someone is bound to know what the exact problem is Smiley
Woody3600
Grafter

I can do the cmd prompt stuff but the rest is above me i'm afraid. Really appreciate the effort you've gone to though thank you Smiley
Woody3600
Grafter

Can any PlusNet staff help with the problem in the initial post?
Thanks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Suspect it's because you're on the older Unlimited product, which has a number of rate limits in place - I'd strongly recommend changing to the new Unlimited product. Even if you opt to go for the contract free variant you should still find it's cheaper than what you're currently paying.
If you'd like to change product just log into your member's centre at www.plus.net and choose Product Change on the bar at the top.
Hope that helps.